What's a FRED like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a FRED like?

I'm thinking about buying a LP clone that the previous owner put 2 DiMarzio Freds in. Does anybody have any experience with these pickups? What Duncan models do they compare to?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need to change them right away prior to negotiating. I'm looking at this guitar for a classic rock kinda sound, Page, Kossoff, Angus, etc. Though I need to do more listening to the clips, if I was going to put Duncan HB's in a LP today, I'd probably put in a pair of 59's or maybe a JB/59 combo.

Comments?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: What's a FRED like?

Closest Duncan would be a Demon.

I don't know about those for Classic Rock though. Stick PAF models or a Custom for classic rock.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
      Closest Duncan would be a Demon.
      Wow really? I would have assumed a JB with that mid-spike. Very cool.
      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I've a FRED in the neck which I really like. It's quite hot and fat for a neck pup, so I have it set pretty low. It gets very nice split tones too.

It hasn't got that much treble in the neck spot though, and I have it in a basswood strat type. I'd imagine it'd be pretty dark in a Les Paul...
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I don't own one but I've played an ibanez JS model with the fred in it and it's a really cool pup..very ballsy....great harmonics.....I think it's higher output than a demon....dunno how you would copmare it to a duncan..but of all the dimarzios I've played through, the fred's the only one I like
          Splawn QR
          Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
          Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
          George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
          My Gear Pix
          My SPLAWN Clips
          My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

The FRED is only about 10 or 11k, I believe.

I think of it as a more modern, less vintage Pearly Gates, but with more "boost", and an A5 magnet. It obviously has Dual Resonance, and cool harmonics up the wazoo. The Demon probably is a fair comparison, only the FRED was designed from the gound-up to have those great natural harmonics and smart mids, and aide in rolling legato lines.

I bet you'll love the d*mn thing in the bridge.

Comment

I don't believe that FREDs are a terribly high output pup. I was going to suggest a hotrodded '59, but I agree with korovamilkdud that a Demon is probably pretty close.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
              X