banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 way switching config with Super Switch and Mini Toggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 way switching config with Super Switch and Mini Toggle?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here

Looking for a bit of help with some wiring I'd like to try out. I just installed a Fender Super Switch into my HH LTD and Im loving it. I currently have it set up as:

1. Bridge Humbucking
    2. Outer Coils
    3. Both Pickups Humbucking
    4. Inner Coils
    5. Neck Humbucking

It's great for the modern metal tones I've been looking for and can go to really smooth cleans. Here's the diagram I used:Click image for larger version

Name:	wd2hh5l11_05__92766.1470694483.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5852511

I read in the amazon reviews that you could add a mini toggle/pushpull pot to give you another five wiring styles. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to add a mini toggle in to turn it in to all single coils? Ex:

1. Bridge South
    2. Bridge North
    3. KILLSWITCH
    4. Neck South
    5. Neck North

Wouldnt have to be that exact combo but in the ballpark of that idea. Ive been searching the web for a few days now on this but havent found anything specific to what Im looking for. Maybe Im looking in the wrong places? Im still pretty new into guitar modding but it's been a lot of fun and I think this would be pretty neat. I'd appreciate any help or even just pointing me in the right direction to continue my hunt. Thanks guys!

-JakeGuitarGuy

Re: 10 way switching config with Super Switch and Mini Toggle?

I can't think of any switch anywhere that would do that.

Essentially you'd need the entire switching to be a computer program so it could have each selection triggering a pre programmed set of connections. What you are wanting simply doesn't exist with hardwire switching.
    The closest I could think of is the fender S1 switching. But even that has the alternative options somewhat related to the initial 5

Comment

JakeGuitarGuy,

I’m making a very similar wiring for a rotary switch. It’s much like the Ibanez dynamix 10 system except positions 2 and 4 are swapped so mine is 1.bridge humbucker 2. Inner coils parallel 3. Both humbuckers 4. Outer coils parallel 5. neck humbucker

Then with a push/push dpdt pot I hope to have an alternate mode to partially split the humbuckers in 1, 3, and 5 positions and fully split in 2 and 4 each. I think I have it worked out to have the neck most coil on the neck humbucker be active in position 2 as I have a sterling ball which has the neck humbucker further away due to the truss rod adjuster being on the body end of the neck. A poor man’s alter switch lol.

I’ve been wanting to experiment with parallel humbucker, “virtual” humbucker, and partially split outer/inner series wiring to make sure that I have usable and distinct options instead of sounds that closely resemble each other too much.

I think you should spend your time thinking and sketching out how you want the wiring to go. You started off at a good place, you should draw out what happens when certain coils or junctions are shunt to ground or to hot since that controls most of what you want. A double pole toggle switch, whether on/on or on/on/on will probably give you most of what you want.

Comment

I tried to figure out an alter switch wiring for your set up but a particular problem comes up. Unless it was a 3pdt alter switch, it couldn’t make all four coils separate. Even with a work around, the ground on one of the humbuckers Start wires would have to have the option to be hot which would take up a pole of a switch.

I think I saw another wiring on that same site where if 2 poles (one humbucker) were adapted to this, it could do something similar and retain the original 5 positions as well. I ran across it thinking I’d want the option of one humbucker wired in parallel with itself. It separates the series junction so the starts are on 2 separate poles and moves the north finish lead straight to output and off the pole. I’ll have to look when I’m not busy though. This was a brain flex lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGuitarGuy View Post
          Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here

Looking for a bit of help with some wiring I'd like to try out. I just installed a Fender Super Switch into my HH LTD and Im loving it. I currently have it set up as:

1. Bridge Humbucking
          2. Outer Coils
          3. Both Pickups Humbucking
          4. Inner Coils
          5. Neck Humbucking

-JakeGuitarGuy
          I wanna say I use this wiring in several guitars (had to flip a magnet to make all positions in phase and hum-cancelling), and it is my favorite wiring.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
            I tried to figure out an alter switch wiring for your set up but a particular problem comes up. Unless it was a 3pdt alter switch, it couldn’t make all four coils separate. Even with a work around, the ground on one of the humbuckers Start wires would have to have the option to be hot which would take up a pole of a switch.

I think I saw another wiring on that same site where if 2 poles (one humbucker) were adapted to this, it could do something similar and retain the original 5 positions as well. I ran across it thinking I’d want the option of one humbucker wired in parallel with itself. It separates the series junction so the starts are on 2 separate poles and moves the north finish lead straight to output and off the pole. I’ll have to look when I’m not busy though. This was a brain flex lol.
            Hey man thanks for all the effort! I appreciate the help Im still very new to wiring in general so I dont know too much about designing circuits but Ill writing down what I want tonight or tomorrow. As for the Humbucker parallel with itself, that sounds really neat! Ill look into that more today as well. See if I can hunt down anything similar that may be able to suffice. Again, thanks for all the help dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I wanna say I use this wiring in several guitars (had to flip a magnet to make all positions in phase and hum-cancelling), and it is my favorite wiring.
              Its so great I used to use a mini toggle in my HSS strat to split the humbucker before someone told me about the Superswitch a few months ago. Its so much faster. I dont know how I got by without it lol. Im also looking to try the Virtual 3rd humbucker mod on my ibanez gio that I have. Still a bit confused on the wiring itself but Im hoping by the time I get my LTD sorted out I'd have a bit more experience under my belt to figure it out!

Comment

It would require buying something else, but check out the Free-Way switch, it may be able to do what you want:

Amazing 6 & 10 position dual-bank pickup selectors for electric guitars. Unrivalled tonal flexibility with fast intuitive operation! The official home of Free-Way.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C743BE1F-5383-4C78-9B9C-A90A9179428D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	5816664

The altered mode’s partially split coils are very similar to how prs does it.

Comment

Working...
                  X