Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help: Big Apple wiring for Tele

Hi folks,
    I'm wiring up a Tele-style guitar for the Big Apple wiring - you can see the wiring here
    Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

to give me the following pup selections:
    Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

I am using the Little '59 for Tele in the bridge slot and the Gibson 496R in the neck slot. Because I didn't want to flip the magnet in the 496R, I swapped the leads instead, so now position 4 activates the slug coil of the 496R and, in position 2, the screw coil of the 496R should be active along with the Lil 59's front coil (the one closer to the neck).

Now my problem is that position 2 gives me the same tone as position 3, and when I tap the polepieces they all respond. This means that instead of the two inner coils, position 3 activates both humbuckers, each in full series mode as in position 3.

With the standard 2 humbuckers as used in the Big Apple Strat, you have to flip the magnet in the neck pup so that the pups are in phase in this wiring. I guess I can sidestep flipping the magnet by simply using the other coil. What puzzles me is that the Lil 59 does not split in position 2.

What's wrong?
    1. It could be something about the Lil 59 that I don't know.
    2. It could be the magnet thing - but that wouldn't prevent the bridge pup from being split.

Can anybody suggest a solution?
    Thanks

Tony
    Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Re: Please help: Big Apple wiring for Tele

I'm chewing on this Tony.

I just hate it when diagrams say things like "black wire to back neck tone pot" . . . instead of just saying "ground".

I'll figure it out - but it might be tomorrow.

Artie

(Its Friday, and I'm sipping some Jack.)

Comment

Ok, lets go one step at a time. First, lets get the Lil 59 split in the #4 position.
      Use this as a reference:

Make sure that the white and red wires go where the red arrows are pointing.
      And make sure that the green arrow goes to ground. Thats probably where your problem is. If that goes to the back of a pot, and the back of that pot doesn't go to ground, the Lil 59 won't be split in the #4 position.

Check that first. Let me know.

Artie

Comment

Here's another perspective:

I highlighted the Lil 59 wires. (Cyan is the white wire.)

Everything in purple should be ground.

Be careful not to mistake the red wire from the Lil 59 for purple. It crosses the purple, running along with the cyan.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Here's another perspective:

I highlighted the Lil 59 wires. (Cyan is the white wire.)

Everything in purple should be ground.

Be careful not to mistake the red wire from the Lil 59 for purple. It crosses the purple, running along with the cyan.
          ARTIE, YOU SAVED MY BUTT!!!
          I logged out and went straight to bed after I posted this question because I was just fried. So fried that I overlooked the missing wire that you pointed out in your first picture. I wired that up and it worked instantly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I looked at the picture and at my switch so many times that I got lost in the wires and didn't notice my mistake.

Thank you.

Well I might just add that I'm getting a Jazz Neck pup to go with the Lil 59 - the 496R is a tad too hot and bassy. And I'll do the wiring correctly, because the way I did it now the split and combined sounds are too thin and wirey.

Tony

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Great. Thanks for letting us know how it came out.

(Good thing I had that sip of Jack!)

Also, how do you like the sound of the Lil 59 split? Just curious. I've heard folks go either way on it.

Comment

Great. Thanks for letting us know how it came out.

Also, how do you like the sound of the Lil 59 split? Just curious. I've heard folks go either way on it.
              Hey Artie, sorry I'm coming back so late, but I didn't get a chance to get behind my computer since I posted my reply.

Now to your question. I haven't heard the Lil 59 split on its own - only in connection with the neck pup (also split with the screw coil active). I have since replaced the 496R with a PG neck - the overall balance is much better but the split tones are kinda thin, and I think the Jazz is not going to improve that much. BUT I believe the cover on the Jazz (I'm ordering a covered Jazz for this guitar) may do something to the tone. Yes, I believe the covers do something to the tone. I noticed a difference when I first took the cover off the stock pup on my LP Studio - I eventually replaced the cover because I liked that tone better. With the cover on the tone was more --- er - burly, sorry for the word.

But back to the Lil 59. I was thinking of the Tele Hot Rails, but since I know the Strat Hot Rails (and am not especially fond of its clean tone), I guess I'll stay with the Lil 59. Also, the bridge pup that I had installed in the guitar previously (a local brand rail-style, 16 k DC resistance unit) sounded good when split but too middy in full mode.

So... I'll take the guitar to a gig and see how it works in the band context. After all, this is what matters most isn't it?

Thanks again for your input Artie. I was slapping my forehead and couldn't believe I didn't notice the obvious mistake.

Tony

Comment

A good idea definitely! I'll have a sip in your honor tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_H
                  A good idea definitely! I'll have a sip in your honor tonight
                  I'd be honoured. btw - Can you get Jack Daniels in Czechoslovakia?

Comment

I'd be honoured. btw - Can you get Jack Daniels in Czechoslovakia?
                    Sure. But tonight I'll raise a glass of a special apple brandy that my dad-in-law gave me. He has a large neglected garden with some apple and pear trees, and he has brandy made out of the fruits. His pear brandy is excellent.
                    But I do like Jack Daniels. And the black variety of the Morgan Rum. My girlfriend gave me a bottle of the Morgan some 9 months before we got married. It's seven years now ... and we are expecting our 4th baby in less than a month.
                    Someone stop me before I get too sentimental!

And --- sorry again for responding so late. I had to take care of the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_H
                      And --- sorry again for responding so late. I had to take care of the kids.
                      No need for apologies. The beauty of a forum is its slow and easy going pace. When you get around to responding . . . it pops back to the top.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle-o-joy.

Is Morgan Rum the same thing we call Captain Morgan? Me and my wife both like that. Especially the new "Silver".

Comment

Is Morgan Rum the same thing we call Captain Morgan? Me and my wife both like that. Especially the new "Silver".
                        I think so. Maybe I got the name wrong because I haven't had a sip of that for quite some time!
                        Silver? I have to try that one!

Comment

Working...
                        X