banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

couldn't find any info on the product page and i don't own one yet.

Re: SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

Are you asking if it is staggered or not? Or if it is available either way...
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the first one. what is the production standard?

i know i can get everything i want from the custom shop, but that‘s not really an option if you‘re from europe

Comment

Isn't this a traditional covered Tele neck pickup

Comment

yes! so that's why i can't see if it's staggered (from photos).
          It comes also in the set with the Broadcaster STL-1B (unstaggered Bridge)
          or with the Vintage '54 STL-1 (staggered Bridge).
          No info on the neck stagger.
          i have no clue, if an unstaggered neck is vintage correct 'til 1954 and if they added a stagger for the neck in 1954 also.

i hope it's has NO stagger! because i own a '54 stl-1 Bridge only, and i like the sound in general, but the string balance is way off with that raised D and G with my compound radius of 10-16". Don't want to make the same mistake again. so i just want to make sure it's unstaggered
          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-15-2019, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I have to admit, I've never had the cover off one of these, and I've never seen a picture of one with the cover off. Damn, now I am curious.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I didn’t think 50’s Tele necks were ever staggered under the cover.

Comment

The Tele neck pickups I've seen from custom winders that do partial or coverless have all been flat......but this is merely anecdotal evidence.

Comment

funny
                  would have thought somebody knew for sure.
                  i would put my money on unstaggered.

so, seems to me Leo Fender did quite a sloppy job in '54 when he introduced the stagger for the Bridge, but left out the neck
                  that, or maybe just the aftermarket pickup makers

Comment

the ones ive pulled the cover off have all been flat but i cant say for sure. im not really a fan of tele neck pups so dont deal with them often.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      the ones ive pulled the cover off ...
                      the ones? STL-1s??? or tele necks in General?

Anyway, i asked the support directly. i'll report back.

Comment

In general, Tele neck pickups do not have staggered magnets.

I doubt that the Duncan pickup is an exception.

This is a question for the Duncan company, directly, if you must have a definitive answer. But we can say that a staggered Tele neck pickup would be the exception rather than the norm.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-19-2019, 10:38 AM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                          funny
                          would have thought somebody knew for sure.
                          i would put my money on unstaggered.

so, seems to me Leo Fender did quite a sloppy job in '54 when he introduced the stagger for the Bridge, but left out the neck
                          that, or maybe just the aftermarket pickup makers
                          The Tele neck pickup is one hardly ever seen uncovered. So it stands to reason that not many have knowledge of what is underneath the cover.

And I'm sure Leo got it right with the method behind the stagger during the design process. He would have had a lot more insight into what the pickup had to do after all. Even if you'd engaged in a small amount of thought about metal covers, vibration, microphonic feedback and gaps that a stagger would have created would tell you all you need to know about how to make such a pickup.

Comment

Well nobody forced him to keep the chrome cover. he didn't use it on the strats.
                            the cover wasn't vintage or traditional back then.

still no answer from the SD support

Comment

However Teles kept the neck cover after the introduction of the strat. Suggesting that it was a choice, even if the option was impossible before the strat pickup was designed.

You seem overly determined to find any excuse to make out the guitar was of poor design......why is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X