banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    Well nobody forced him to keep the chrome cover. he didn't use it on the strats.
    the cover wasn't vintage or traditional back then.

still no answer from the SD support
    The cover is a shield. The telecaster electronics from end to end were designed to reduce noise and be easy to repair/maintain, and IME it works quite effectively.

Removing the shield later, eg on strats, I believe was to brighten the sound, but at the expense of a little more noise.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 08-28-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Re: SD VINTAGE TELE NECK STR-1 staggered or non staggered?

yes, the cover is good for shielding. i know it kills some highs, especially when it's made out of brass (doesn't have to be a bad thing! in fact i want something less piercing than my twang king for that guitar)

@AlexR
      i don't dislike the Tele design. no, in fact i love it!
      it was meant as a joke! you see that smiley?

I just don't understand, when he introduced the stagger (i think i know the reasons for it) for the bridge, why he left out the neck.
      Just doesn't seem logical to me.
      If you go through all that hassle for the different sized Magnets because the volume difference it's seems rather important, then why stop at the Bridge Pickup. If it worked for the Neck without the stagger it wasn't that important after all???
      The thought he just forgot about the neck (stagger) is quite funny to me. i don't say he actually forgot. just the thought.

And as mentioned i am glad if the SD vintage tele neck or any tele neck doesn't have a stagger, because i am not into small fingerboard radii (and wound 3rd). i am sad the '54 bridge features a stagger, and custom shop is too pricey from Europe.

Comment

To my knowledge reading about him, Leo was quite practical and very pragmatic. He was into electronics, he was not a musician or artist. He solved problems, but only when a problem manifested. If he staggered the bridge and not the neck, he was trying to solve a problem that only bridges were known to have at the time.

IME I haven’t heard a Tele neck where I thought something was so wrong that it needed staggered poles to solve. But I think the cover might mask any nuances that staggering might provide.

Comment

ok, now i think i can understand.
          i have no experience with small finger board radii combined with single Coils and stagger. (only one gretsch with filtertrons and i don't see any advantage with that radius, only cons. so no more small radi for me).
          So my thoughts are highly theoretical (instead of pragmatic) and i have no way of telling if the stagger is audible on a tradtional tele.
          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-29-2019, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
            ok, now i think i can understand.
            i have no experience with small finger board radii combined with single Coils and stagger. (only one gretsch with filtertrons and i don't see any advantage with that radius, only cons. so no more small radi for me).
            So my thoughts are highly theoretical (instead of pragmatic) and i have no way of telling if the stagger is audible on a tradtional tele.
            I think the unique sound of a Tele neck pickup, to me, is something I don't particularly like, so I never got to the point of comparing the details between them.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pickups are made with a darker colored coating on the wire, it almost has a dark grey look with the copper wire hue in it. The poles are NOT staggered and the potting of the pickup almost looks as if it was dipped only enough to allow the wax to get into the coil and settle into the upper portion of the coil I.E. It was dipped and then laid on the cover's face ( string side ) to allow the residual wax to flow into the upper portion of the pickup.

Comment

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR REPLY

the potting makes sense, so there are no Vibration between the cover and the upside of the pickup.

Since the Pickup is NON staggered I will order one the following days, and if it's to muddy i will exchange the brass cover for a german silver one.

you should receive a commission from duncan for this sell
                Last edited by ToneFiddler; 09-26-2019, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Let us now how this pickup works out for you.

Comment

i will.
                    i am going for the broadcaster set. it may not be vintage correct with the A5 mags (A3 is supposed to be correct), but from the clips i dig it the most.

Comment

i guess i forgot to update this thread.

got a new broadcaster set a year ago.
                      the STR-1 is fuller than the stock fender neck, which i guess is due to more turns (6k vs. 7.6k).
                      Also it's a bit more mellow because of the brass cover.
                      i have one Ash tele which is on the bright and colder side of things, so this Pickups fits nice, where as the stock fender pickups where a bit piercing.
                      the bridge PU from the set (STL-1B) i swapped for a jerry Donahue because it sits better with that particular guitar.
                      in this combo the STR-1 i not too dark and the JD also matches nice.
                      From the duncan clips i disliked the JD (too warm/mellow) and liked the STR-1B a lot.
                      well the STR-1B will get another changes in another guitar at some point.

Comment

Thanks for the update! It really helps to have some time to see how a pickup works. First responses never tell the whole picture.

Comment

Working...
                        X