No announcement yet.

Ibanez HH 5 Way Switch With Duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a few months since I read this thread, and it does look like a cool diagram I may want to try. If you lose volume on 2 & 4, but not 3, then the pickups are in phase and working properly. When using one humbucker in parallel, it will be less volume (maybe even half) than in series. Also, having 1 coil for each pickup on, in parallel, will be less volume than in series.

Those Ibanez switches are not easy to find!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      If you lose volume on 2 & 4, but not 3, then the pickups are in phase and working properly.
      I stand corrected!

Comment

That makes sense. Is there any way to utilize a 5-way switch with two humbuckers that allow you to get decent sounds from positions 2 and 4 while retaining equal volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To have 5 sounds with equal volume? You can put the parallel coils in series in position 2, and maybe have the outside coils in series in position 4.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks all. Now that I’ve played with it more, the volume loss is not a deal breaker. Great wiring, sounds awesome for those that want to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello. I am total n00b at this. I have read this thread, but please forgive my need for clarification.

I have an Ibanez RG220B. It has the Cortek 5-way switch, H-H pickups, one volume knob, and one tone knob.
              I just purchased 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers... SH-1N and TB-6.

I would like to install these as simply as possible. I know how to solder but don't have any other experience with guitar electronics.

Option 1)
              How could I install these pickups directly with the Cortek switch?
              I am confused between all the wiring diagrams shared above. And I do not understand what it means to "flip the magnet." (And I don't want to make any pickup modifications.)
              In the end, is there a diagram above that would preserve the stock wiring controls without physically modifying the pickups?

Option 2)
              If option 1 is not possible, then I guess I would look at buying a new switch so that I don't need to modify the pickups?
              It seems like a "super 5 way" switch would be the most flexible option and allow me to use any of the widely available wiring diagrams. I see switches on Amazon called "Fender 5-Position Strat/Tele Super Switch".
              Is this the right type of item to buy? Would it fit in my guitar even though it says for strat/tele?

Thanks in advance for the guidance, experts. :-)

Comment

Working...
              X