banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

    Hello all, greetings from Old Hickory, Tennessee...

    Hoping I can find a little help with this mod...I'm wanting to add a Little 59 at the Bridge of my Strat, and use a 500K audio taper push/push pot at the Bridge tone control. I have the pot, the pickup, and a .022 Orange drop.

    I'm wanting to keep the quacky Strat position 4 tone with the coil split, or the single coil tone in position 5, as well as the ability to add the humbucker with the push of the tone knob...I've asked SD support and they do not publish a diagram...and I need one.

    I've seen diagrams online using the 5 position switch instead of a push/push to allow for the coil split in the #4 position, and when in position #5, it's a full on humbucker, and that sounds appealing as well...but can't I please find a diagram for regular Start wiring AND add my push/push at the Bridge Tone Pot mod...

    any help will be appreciated. I'm scratching my head with this mod for some reason...drawing a blank.

    Thank in advance folks!...

  • #2
    Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

    Originally posted by backlineguy View Post
    I'm wanting to add the humbucker with the push of the tone knob.
    Do you mean you want 7 way switching? Are your other pickups true single coils?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

      Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      Do you mean you want 7 way switching? Are your other pickups true single coils?
      Thanks for the reply Clint...not 7 way...I want the Strat to work and sound like a Strat...AND add the push/push Bridge Tone pot to split the Bridge coil HB'er...the Neck and Middle are stock single coil pickups...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

        Ok cool. What you can do is wire the humbucker to auto split in position 2 so it will be hum cancelling with the single coil. Then wire the push pull pot to switch the humbucker to parallel so it will be hum cancelling on its own in position 1.

        https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Auto_Split_Mod

        https://guitarelectronics.com/humbuc...ries-parallel/
        Last edited by Clint 55; 11-24-2019, 05:47 PM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

          Thanks Clint for taking the time...as I mentioned, I do like the idea of the auto split, and I considered wiring the HB'er in parallel, but Seymour Duncan support recommended sticking with splitting instead of parallel in light of the drop in output. I'd like the push/push to do the splitting...I may have to try it your way Clint, but I'd still like to get it hooked up with the push/push doing the work, and give that a go for a while to see how I like it...

          thanks again Clint for the links and your help!
          Last edited by backlineguy; 11-25-2019, 04:20 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

            Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Ok cool. What you can do is wire the humbucker to auto split in position 2 so it will be hum cancelling with the single coil. Then wire the push pull pot to switch the humbucker to parallel so it will be hum cancelling on its own in position 1.

            https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Auto_Split_Mod

            https://guitarelectronics.com/humbuc...ries-parallel/
            You're not listening (reading).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

              This is a very simple wiring. But...switch position #1 is bridge and switch position #5 is neck on the Strat 5-way lever switch. Don't feel bad, many people get that backwards.

              I assume you currently have a single coil in the bridge and are replacing it with the Lil '59. The black wire of the 59 will solder to the same lug on your switch as the bridge single coil which you are removing.
              All you need to do is add this p/p wiring to your existing wiring. (The diagram shows two ways to wire it depending on whether you want to split to the north or south coil.) Typical is to connect the red and white wires together on the middle lug of the p/p (you will only be using one side of the switch). This will split the humbucker no matter what position the 5-way is in so you will have single in position 1 and 2. One of the outer lugs will be connected to ground (back of pot).

              https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd..._Splitting.pdf

              The p/p can be used to replace any of your existing pots. Just keep the wiring to the pot the same as it is currently wired. The only change/addition is the wiring of the DPDT switch on the back of the p/p pot.

              This diagram shows what you want, but it shows the p/p on the vol pot...wiring is the same though, whether you use it on the vol or tone pot.

              https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd...1VppSPL_2T.pdf
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-25-2019, 07:13 AM.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                You're not listening (reading).
                Single coil size hbs with screw poles don't sound good split on their own.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 11-25-2019, 01:56 PM.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                  Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Single coil size hbs with screw poles don't sound good split on their own.
                  That may be your opinion, but it is not what the OP asked for.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                    Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    This is a very simple wiring. But...switch position #1 is bridge and switch position #5 is neck on the Strat 5-way lever switch. Don't feel bad, many people get that backwards.

                    I assume you currently have a single coil in the bridge and are replacing it with the Lil '59. The black wire of the 59 will solder to the same lug on your switch as the bridge single coil which you are removing.
                    All you need to do is add this p/p wiring to your existing wiring. (The diagram shows two ways to wire it depending on whether you want to split to the north or south coil.) Typical is to connect the red and white wires together on the middle lug of the p/p (you will only be using one side of the switch). This will split the humbucker no matter what position the 5-way is in so you will have single in position 1 and 2. One of the outer lugs will be connected to ground (back of pot).

                    https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd..._Splitting.pdf

                    The p/p can be used to replace any of your existing pots. Just keep the wiring to the pot the same as it is currently wired. The only change/addition is the wiring of the DPDT switch on the back of the p/p pot.

                    This diagram shows what you want, but it shows the p/p on the vol pot...wiring is the same though, whether you use it on the vol or tone pot.

                    https://docs.google.com/gview?embedd...1VppSPL_2T.pdf
                    Thanks Doc...the more I look at these diagrams, the more I'm wanting to try the SD one with the PP on the Volume - but swap it obviously to my Bridge Tone pot...also, I've wired this thing in a way that the Middle and Bridge split is WAY too thin, and Support at SD recommends swapping the Green and Black, so I need to do that as well...with this diagram, with the Bridge in Parallel, it's similar to a split, but with hum cancelling...I'm just concerned that the output will be even lower with Parallel as opposed to just splitting the coils....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                      thanks Clint...yeah, that's always a possibility...in that case, I'll be fine with setting it up as original and playing it that way...but I've had this in mind for a while, slowly accumulated the parts, so now I'd like to give it a shot...you may be right - it may not sound like I want it to...it's fun to find out though...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                        Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        That may be your opinion, but it is not what the OP asked for.
                        Thanks SO much guys...I went with this diagram...

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.53.07 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	5817657

                        ...I had to swap the Green/Black, remove a jumper from the 2 tone pots, add a .047 cap to the Middle Tone pot, ground the PP switch, and used a solder wick to clean up a bunch...and it works...sounds great splitting the coil, so I'll live with this a while, play stuff I'm really familiar with to get a feel, and maybe at some point, try it in Parallel...but at the moment, the split sounds good with little to no hum...with the Bridge Tone pot 'down', Strat tone restored in all positions including ( and especially)# 2, and in position 1 with the pot 'up', punchy output and a smooth attack...surprised even with no cap on it, but it sounds great...the best of both worlds...

                        all good, and many many thanks Doc and Clint for your assistance!
                        Last edited by backlineguy; 11-27-2019, 10:04 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Strat Coil Split Little '59 Bridge Tone Push/Push HELP please...

                          Awesome! Come back in a few weeks to let us know how this idea is holding up.
                          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X