Gibson Burstbucker 61T... yuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Burstbucker 61T... yuck

Same experience here with my new Les Paul Std 60’s. Those pickups are gross, just like the BB Pros that spawned them. I am however a BIG fan of all the A2 Burstbuckers and the 57 Classics.

Anyway, the BB61 set came out after a couple of weeks of adjusting them and in went a set of Custom Shop Pearly Gates and they’re a massive improvement, even if they’re not my favorite of all time. (I know, I know, they’re wonderful but everybody has preferences)

Comment

Oh, and my 61 set measured 7.85k bridge and 7.92k neck out of the guitar and they were specifically labeled rhythm and lead on the baseplate, and are waxpotted.

Comment

same buddy has the 57s in his lp and likes em. i have a set of those from my '09 lp trad that i dont care for, not bad, but not what i want so if the mag swap doesnt cut it we can try those.

as far as the cs pgs, i love the bridge pup i tried, but i preferred the stock neck. what do you like and not like about em? not to derail the thread, but...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          as far as the cs pgs, i love the bridge pup i tried, but i preferred the stock neck. what do you like and not like about em? not to derail the thread, but...
          Off topic: Yeah, not to derail but I just don’t prefer the nasal mids that the PG bridge has. However, my CS PG set is exactly as it should be, it’s a beautiful pickup set and true to it’s namesake: I can get the sound of the Reverend right away, totally recognizable. Unfortunately that’s not what I generally play so it doesn’t necessarily fit if that makes sense. I generally like tons of gain and a regular old scooped 59 set fits that sound better FOR ME. I also like the slightly gritty nature in the Gibson BB2 for same reason over their smoother more middy 57 Classic. If I had the skills though, these things would sing.

I really like the PG neck though, very clear and without mud at all. It’s a beauty and even if I changed the bridge I would probably keep the neck in there.

I put this set in here though because I have every intention of getting more into blues, and I will eventually...

Back to the original topic: I did have the idea to change out the magnets in the 61 set to maybe A3 or A2 but got sidetracked and figured they were worth more if I wanted to sell them later if they hadn’t been cracked open. Wonder how close to a Custombucker like the R9 comes with they could be with A3 mags in them...
          Last edited by RyeDaddy; 11-28-2019, 12:10 AM. Reason: Adding self deprecating detail. :)

Comment

Has anyone tried partly degaussing the A5s in BB Pros? I don't mind the BB Pro neck but to my ear the bridge isn't a winner.

Have been very tempted to try Zhang's neo degaussing trick on one. The beauty of it is, you can do it while the pickup's still in the guitar.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              gotcha, a friend has an sg with these and doesnt love em. were gonna try a mag swap to a3 neck/a2 bridge and see how it goes
              I don't think they are a good match for an SG. My Les Paul has a maple neck, maybe that help to clean off the '61.
              I'm sure there are better pickups, but it's a pain, and very costly, to try them north of the border.

Comment

gotcha. im gonna try the mag swap first for giggles and see how that works, then swap if it doesnt make enough of a change

Comment

Jeremy, please let us know what happens with the mag swap. I still may try mine with A3

Comment

A3 neck, A2 bridge would be my go-to mag swap for a pair of pretty much any pickups that are moderately too thick sounding.

I have gone to an A3 bridge to try to tame a 500T. While it reduced the output, which helps a lot, it still didn't change the way the coils were wound (middy/dark).
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

ill give him the magnets sunday so will let ya know once i hear back from him

Comment

Working...
                      X