Gibson Burstbucker 61T... yuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Burstbucker 61T... yuck

I know Les Paul bridge pickups aren't exactly a new topic.

I recently picked up a new Les Paul Standard 60s and I love everything about the guitar except that bridge pickup! It sounds ok for some things, but it gets a really nasal quality to it in notes around the Bb-C on the 3rd-5th frets of the G string. Overall it's sort of honky and thin.

It also does this annoying thing where it is too bright and too dark at the same time! The top three strings get really sharp and too bright while the low strings are still very dark and boomy!

I don't have much experience with Gibson humbuckers, but this one is making me think it might be time to throw a Duncan in there

Re: Gibson Burstbucker 61T... yuck

The Saturday Night Special is what you want from this description.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by GOB View Post
      It also does this annoying thing where it is too bright and too dark at the same time!
      This is how I felt about the burstbucker pros that were in my 2006 Standard. I went through a lot of pickups before I came to a few Duncans that I liked. Seths, WLH, 59s w/A2 mags; all were much better than the BBs. Seths were probably the best, but currently I'm running 59 neck and 59/Custom bridge b/c I wanted something a little hotter than the rest of my stable of PAF guitars.

Comment

A lot of A5 magnets sound that way to me, but BB pros were awful. This is coming from a guy that actually liked the BB1, BB2 and BB3, as well. The 61T is pretty much the same thing as a Pro B with the coils swapped, from what I understand, so I can't imagine liking it.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
          A lot of A5 magnets sound that way to me, but BB pros were awful. This is coming from a guy that actually liked the BB1, BB2 and BB3, as well. The 61T is pretty much the same thing as a Pro B with the coils swapped, from what I understand, so I can't imagine liking it.
          The numbered Burstbuckers used alnico 2 magnets, correct? Because I have experience with (almost) all Gibson humbuckers, and off the top of my head, all the A2 models are pretty good, while all of the A5 ones kinda suck.

The BB1, BB2, BB3(not 100% sure about the BB3 mag?), '57 Classic/+.

All fantastic pickups, the BB1/3 combo, as well as the '57 Classics both absolutely sing in everything I've heard them in. I don't personally have experience with the BB2, I think they are mostly used in the bridge position of semi-hollow bodies, but I assume they are as good as their siblings in guitars that don't need any grunt from the pickups.

The BB Pros and 498T/490R have sounded like crap everytime I've heard them. I have less experience with the latter, but they sound pretty generic to me.

Maybe whoever winds for Gibson just works better with weaker magnets? Or maybe it's total coincidence.
          Originally posted by jcthejester13
          Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
            The numbered Burstbuckers used alnico 2 magnets, correct? Because I have experience with (almost) all Gibson humbuckers, and off the top of my head, all the A2 models are pretty good, while all of the A5 ones kinda suck.
            The recent Gibson A5 bars that I've tested were 1/3 more gaussed than other magnets of the same (?) alloy... With coils exhibiting a high Q factor, like those in the BB pros, it gives the tone described above as too bright and too dark simultaneously: their high Q factor makes them too focused with powerful magnets (not to mention the tendency to produce unrequested feedback).

FWIW...
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Have you carefully adjusted the pickup and its pole pieces? You can do a whole lot with that, if you know how.

Lots of modern pickups use magnets that are, quite simply, too powerful for my taste. A5s are quite strong, and can often cause the infamous too bright and​ too dark problem. Too bright due to the power of the magnet...and too dark because it's hitting your amp too hard and distorting the low end.

Try lowering the pickup a bit and rolling back your tone knob. Also, dial in less bass and treble on your amp, and more mids, if you have a knob for them. And make sure you balance the strings's volumes using the adjustable pole pieces.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-26-2019, 01:50 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I bet I could swap out the A5 magnets for a big improvement, but I'm thinking I might just replace the pickup so I can keep the 61T in tact to make it easier to sell.

I think what I really want in this guitar is big, round, and warm. And I can't stand that nasal half-cocked-wah sort of tone. I'll probably just throw in a Seth or an Antiquity and be done

Comment

Originally posted by GOB View Post
                  I'll probably just throw in a Seth or an Antiquity and be done
                  Can't go wrong there.

Comment

I have a Gibson Les Paul LPJ with '61T and like it, maybe because of the maple neck it's not dark, but they are bright, I have my tone pot around 5.
                    As @itsabass suggested I had to play alot with the height and pole pieces. Was using DR Tite-fit and moved to Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 and that worked for me.

Comment

I'd think the Antiquity is what you need. It is nice and open, without honk anywhere. It is also extremely touch-sensitive, and they sound great in LPs.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

what are the specs on these 61 pups? ive heard the neck and bridge models are wound the same and have the screw coil hotter?

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post

The BB1, BB2, BB3(not 100% sure about the BB3 mag?), '57 Classic/+.

All fantastic pickups, the BB1/3 combo, as well as the '57 Classics both absolutely sing in everything I've heard them in. I don't personally have experience with the BB2, I think they are mostly used in the bridge position of semi-hollow bodies, but I assume they are as good as their siblings in guitars that don't need any grunt from the pickups.

The BB Pros and 498T/490R have sounded like crap everytime I've heard them. I have less experience with the latter, but they sound pretty generic to me.

Maybe whoever winds for Gibson just works better with weaker magnets? Or maybe it's total coincidence.
                          Yeah, 1 and 2 are the A2 version of the pros. BB3 is hotter than the 2, but still A2. BB2 also came in my R7. I'm down to only having them in my 335 now, but I found they were decent pickups and very usable.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            what are the specs on these 61 pups? ive heard the neck and bridge models are wound the same and have the screw coil hotter?
                            Burstbucker serie, A5 magnet, neck and bridge wound the same, mines are like 7.85k IIRC.
                            Here's a tread about '61 zebra: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...l-LPJ-makeover

Comment

gotcha, a friend has an sg with these and doesnt love em. were gonna try a mag swap to a3 neck/a2 bridge and see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                              X