banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing The Stock Humbucker On My Fat Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing The Stock Humbucker On My Fat Strat?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, the CC is my favorite pickup in the bridge of a Strat. It also splits well. It isn't as bright as the PG, or as harsh as the JB. It works well for a 1 guitar band, too, as it covers a big swath of frequencies.
    I thank you for the reply...I notice that the CC gets a love it/hate it reception. Since you're very familiar with the pickup, my concerns about the CC: would you say that the highs are bright and clear? What about the lows...are they warm and fat?

I love that the CC has an alnico 2 magnet; the alnico 5 produces a sound that's a little too strong, and ceramic magnets produce a sound that's a little too tight/defined, and aren't clean.

The CC seems do do everything well, yet I am worried that the bottom might be a little weak, and that the highs might be a little muddy....or no, am I wrong?

Comment

Well, it is like a tub of butter. It isn't tight like alnico 5, it is soft and squishy. They highs are present but not ice picky, and certainly not wooly...they are there. Not muddy at all. But if you need very tight lows, you won't be happy.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, it is like a tub of butter. It isn't tight like alnico 5, it is soft and squishy. They highs are present but not ice picky, and certainly not wooly...they are there. Not muddy at all. But if you need very tight lows, you won't be happy.
        Thank you for the very helpful info, especially since I am new to the guitar.

That highs are present (in the CC) but not ice picky sounds perfect, and I hate very tight lows. I like lows that are warm, wide, and somewhat loose and unconfined.

Would you say that the PG & CC have similar lows? To my ears, a buttery low is what I am looking for. On the basis of that, how similar are the CC and the Pearly Gates?
        Last edited by newdorplane; 01-07-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Well, the lows are similar, indeed. But the highs are very different, and that is what you notice if you compare the PG & CC. The CC's highs are round. The PGs have some punch to them, and they are pretty bright. Both being A2 pickups, the lows are about the same.

Comment

Never tried it but surprised nobody proposed the PAT-B3.

Comment

I second Mincer's earlier suggestion of the EVH Frankenstein (which is made by SD, by the way!). In my opinion, it's a perfected Custom Custom.

The '78 or PATB-3 are also great pickups that ride the line as "vintage hot" models and are very versatile

Comment

Well, the lows are similar, indeed. But the highs are very different, and that is what you notice if you compare the PG & CC. The CC's highs are round. The PGs have some punch to them, and they are pretty bright. Both being A2 pickups, the lows are about the same.
                The lows were my main concern with the CC.

Looking at SD's chart, it looks like the bass is turned all the way down on the CC's - as if it's all mids and highs, but is lacking down low. I am not looking for a bass heavy pickup, but I don't want something that's lacking either.

As for the CC's highs being round, that sounds perfect!

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                I second Mincer's earlier suggestion of the EVH Frankenstein (which is made by SD, by the way!). In my opinion, it's a perfected Custom Custom.

The '78 or PATB-3 are also great pickups that ride the line as "vintage hot" models and are very versatile
                Thanks for the suggestion! I am checking those out right now...

Originally posted by masta' c View Post

I thank you for your helpful suggestions...what I like most about the "non custom" SD units, aside from them being more budget friendly, is that they come in a trembucker form; my Strat's current humbucker has a total of three mounting screws, and SD's trembuckers are a perfect fit. My guitar is still under warranty, so I don't want to go drilling holes in the pickguard. As I grow with my guitar, I might get something a little more unique down the road.

Comment

Keep in mind that any Custom Shop pickup can be ordered as a Trembucker.

There are lows on a CC. It just won't do percussive chugs of modern metal.

Comment

Keep in mind that any Custom Shop pickup can be ordered as a Trembucker.

There are lows on a CC. It just won't do percussive chugs of modern metal.
                    I want to thank you for both your time and patience; I am not into that modern metal stuff, so the CC sounds like it would suit my style perfectly.

Comment

Perpetual Burn.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

There’s a guy here somewhere with a JB/custom hybrid that might be able to sound off on how it is. I’ll bet with an A2 it’s nice.

Comment

OK - read all of this now....

I think I see the issue.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you like the CC, but want it more vintage and touch-sensitive, the Alnico II Pro is a great choice in a Strat.
                            T H A N K Y O U !!!

I finally pulled the trigger, and I installed the custom custom into my Strat today. I am totally floored!

The install was a bit of a PITA; for some reason, the supplied screws didn't want to go into the humbucker, and I was toying with the screws for at least 30 min. I was also unhappy that the trembucker holes didn't match the holes on my pickguard, which required that I drill another hole to mount the unit. I wish that SD would refine their trembucker mounting holes to match the Strats.

That said, the CC is incredible!

The stock pickup on my Mexican Strat was okay, and the CC doesn't sound largely different than the Strat bucker, although it simply sounds much, much, better. With the stock Fender bucker, I had to continually fiddle with the knobs on my amp to produce a satisfactory tone; with the CC, it's "set it and forget it."

The top end notes are rounded, and I am not a fan of rounded notes, but the CC's top end aren't too rounded.

Unlike the stock MIM Strat humbucker, the CC doesn't sound muddy at all; it's articulate - which I love.

The CC doesn't sound bright, nor is it dark; it's a perfect compromise between the two.

Finally, I can't for the life of me figure out the complaints about the CC's low end. On one website, a reviewer said the unit sounds like it's going through a tubescreamer; this is simply not true. As you mentioned, you can't "chug" with a CC, but it sounds very full and balanced, and it's very warm, yet it's not in the least bit muddy. The mid structure is perfect on the CC; nothing about the pickup sounds unnatural or peaky.

My only problem, since I am new to the guitar, is that I don't have a lot to play (yet); thankfully with the CC, I will be well on my way!

There is one thing to note: I am running my guitar through a Yamaha THX amp, which sits next to me. There's a fair amount of rig noise/60hz hum - which goes away when I touch the strings, or the metal tuners. Is this normal? I am sitting near a smart meter, so I wonder if the rig is pulling EMF off the meter. Is it normal to have my fingers cut the hum when I touch the strings or the metal tuners?

Again...thanks for recommending the CC; it's a perfect pickup - in all ways. I highly recommend it!

Comment

Originally posted by newdorplane View Post

I want to thank you for both your time and patience; I am not into that modern metal stuff, so the CC sounds like it would suit my style perfectly.
                              Let us know how this project turns out. Remember, that any Duncan humbucker will be naturally out of phase with your Fender single coils, so take that into consideration when wiring.

Comment

usually if you touch a metal part and the hum goes away, there is a grounding issue somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X