new tele pickup--technical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tele pickup--technical question

I'm working on solving a problem in my tele and need some assistance. I'm thinking that the best way to solve the problem is to get a new lead position tele pickup.

Problem:
    When the neck and bridge are both selected, the sound is thin. When the volume is backed off one of the two pickups, the full volume returns, but the sound is still slightly thinned out. It is only when one of the two pickups' volume is all the way off that the sound returns to normal. This is not what I had in mind.... I had wanted to get the beef of the Humbucker to mix with a bit of the bite of the lead--for the two pickups to compliment each other, not have (what I'm assuming are) phase problems (although it could also be magnetic orientation problems?). When the P-90 and the Humbucker are mixed, I don't have any problems--so I think it's best to change the tele pickup.

Tele Pickup Configuration:
    I have a 4 cable '59 humbucker in the neck (coil tapping done in a toggle switch), an Antiquities P-90 in the middle, and the stock MIM Fender tele single coil in the lead position. The two single coils run into a stacked volume/tone pot and then into a 4 position selector switch (1-bridge, 2-bridge+mid, 3-mid, 4-nothing) and finally out to the jack. The Humbucker runs into the 2 position toggle switch, then into another stacked volume/tone pot and finally out to the jack.

The Question:
    Which SD tele pickups are oriented to match the '59 in a way that will get me what I'm looking for? I should also ask if anyone can put the technical terms behind what I'm looking for--what do I need to look for in the replacement pickup?

Thanks for your help!

Re: new tele pickup--technical question

welcome to the board

i would first try reversing the two wires from the bridge pickup to see if it is a phase thing (which it sounds like)

... if this fixes it, you will be fine .. if not, let us know and we can diagnose further ... some guys know how to beat the problem when you run two signals direct to the pot in parallel so as not to have one interfere with the other

let us know
    cheers
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I'll try that and see what happens--but I do think I'd like to go ahead and change the lead pickup out anyways. Which tele lead vintage single coil pickups would work well with the '59 humbucker and the p-90's phasing and magnetic polarity?

Comment

Originally posted by rkymtnhi
        I'll try that and see what happens--but I do think I'd like to go ahead and change the lead pickup out anyways. Which tele lead vintage single coil pickups would work well with the '59 humbucker and the p-90's phasing and magnetic polarity?

You could go with a Alnico 2 Pro for a vintage yet smooth sound, or a Jerry Donahue for more oomph. The Vintage would be the most tele twangy of them all.

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
        X