EVH Frankenstein vs SD Frankenstein Custom Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Frankenstein vs SD Frankenstein Custom Shop

Are these two the same pickup? Did EVH stop making them and SD Custom Shop took over?

Re: EVH Frankenstein vs SD Frankenstein Custom Shop

And the answer is .......

Comment

For starters, the EVH branded one is black and standard spaced. Duncan Custom Shop will make you a trem spaced version in whatever color you want, with four colnductor or braided wire.
      “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Interesting. I must've missed this one.

They use Eddie's name in the description and the price is higher than a regular CS pickup, so SD probably struck a licensing deal and quietly retired the IM1.

Honestly, I'd just get the regular EVH-branded Frankie, which is also made by SD. It's one of the best pickups SD makes and no CS upcharge. Can't go wrong with that one.

Comment

All marketing BS if you want the first album sound get the Dimarzio Super Distortion and call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
            All marketing BS if you want the first album sound get the Dimarzio Super Distortion and call it a day
            Says the guy who has never tried a Super Distortion and is still asking how to get the VH1 sound in 3 different threads

Comment

Oh please go do something

Comment

The reason I asked is I’ve noticed the EVH Frankenstein pickup is tougher to come by now. I think they’ve either seized or slowed down production, and maybe SD took over in the custom shop.
                I have a ‘78 model that I ordered from the custom shop and even though I thought about selling it, and even made a for sale post on here, I put it back into my guitar and will never get rid of it. Awesome pickup.

I’ve had the EVH Franky pickup before and it was really nice. Might order the CS version in the future as I want regular spaced and reliced look, so was wondering about the similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
                  Are these two the same pickup?
                  yes

Comment

EVH Franky and SD Franky are the same. The SD '78 is a completely different animal.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

EVH Frankenstein Pickup any thoughts
                      Last edited by pittbull; 03-11-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X