Going to try a BroBucker Pearly Gates combo in my Les Paul Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to try a BroBucker Pearly Gates combo in my Les Paul Custom

I recently picked up a new Les Paul Custom that came with the standard 490/498 combo. It sounded good stock, but I have never been a huge fan of the 490 sets. I find them to have a weird midrange thing going on. After doing a bit of research I decided to go with the Brobucker for the bridge and a Pearly Gates for the neck. They should arrive this week, and I am really looking forward to seeing how they sound.

My Custom is a Sparkle Silver, so I decided to go double black on both pickups. I'll post some before and after pictures once installed.

Re: Going to try a BroBucker Pearly Gates combo in my Les Paul Custom

Should be a cool combo! Looking forward to the pics.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

That is bound to be a big improvement, as I can't stand those Gibson pickups. I look forward to your review.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My gigging guitar with a Brobucker (tb) in the bridge and 7.95K PGb in the neck. And here is how it sounds (both vids with a MIA 98 Blues Jr.):

Brobucker:

PG in the neck

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I am very happy with them in this guitar. BUT... on a LP that sounds full with lotsa muscle, Brobucker might be a bit of an overkill in the bridge. PGn in the neck would be great, no question about it. Brobucker works best in LP wannabe guitars that are a bit thin you know. Like my McCarty, or an SG...

B
        Attached Files
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

BTW congrats on the purchase... welcome to the club!

Brobucker is hell of a pickup!

B

Comment

I currently have a Brobucker bridge and 59n/A4 in the neck in a Les Paul Studio. Sounds almost like my 1960 historic reissue but more output.

I think PGn would work just as well, though I find something with a slight high-mid bump (think chime, not honk) is the closest match with the Brobucker.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I currently have a Brobucker bridge and 59n/A4 in the neck in a Les Paul Studio. Sounds almost like my 1960 historic reissue but more output.

I think PGn would work just as well, though I find something with a slight high-mid bump (think chime, not honk) is the closest match with the Brobucker.
              You need a brighter and lively sounding guitar with the Brobucker.
              I had two Les Paul guitars when the Brobucker came out. A compressed sounding Classic and an 1982 Gibson Heritage Elite. I thought the WHL humbucker should work better for darker sounding guitars than the Brobucker.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Going to try a BroBucker Pearly Gates combo in my Les Paul Custom

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                You need a brighter and lively sounding guitar with the Brobucker.
                I had two Les Paul guitars when the Brobucker came out. A compressed sounding Classic and an 1982 Gibson Heritage Elite. I thought the WHL humbucker should work better for darker sounding guitars than the Brobucker.
                I was going to edit my post to add the WLH neck, which would be stellar with a Brobucker. My LP Studio is weight relieved and brighter/snappier than my 94 Standard. My 60 reissue is only 8 pounds and also brighter/snappier than my Standard.

Comment

i used the bro/pgn setup for a while in a lp special and it was great! ended up selling the guitar but kept the pups

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                    My gigging guitar with a Brobucker (tb) in the bridge and 7.95K PGb in the neck. And here is how it sounds (both vids with a MIA 98 Blues Jr.):

Brobucker:

PG in the neck

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I am very happy with them in this guitar. BUT... on a LP that sounds full with lotsa muscle, Brobucker might be a bit of an overkill in the bridge. PGn in the neck would be great, no question about it. Brobucker works best in LP wannabe guitars that are a bit thin you know. Like my McCarty, or an SG...

B

Enjoyed the lead work on that first video. Well done, man
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
                      Enjoyed the lead work on that first video. Well done, man
                      Thanks!

B

Comment

Working...
                      X