Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity II Surfers

Hi,
    Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I just installed a set of Surfers in a Strat. One thing I notice is that the volume of the pickups seems a touch quieter than another Strat.

The other Strat has 6.0K A5 winds. The pickup heights are pretty similar on the two guitars. While switching back and forth between the two, I feel like there's a slight difference in the volume. It's not a huge difference, and can be fixed by turning up the amp, but I guess it was unexpected.

I'm curious if others have had noticed the same? Do these pickups come with "aged" magnets, and if so, what effect does that has on volume?
    Last edited by spi; 03-15-2020, 08:12 PM.

Re: Antiquity II Surfers

Welcome to the forum!

There are a few things that could result in different output levels, like differing pickup height between the 2 guitars, or type/age of strings. I generally set the pickup pretty close to the strings, then back it off until I can't hear the magnets' influence on the strings' vibration.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes, I would guess it could be the partial strength magnets in the surfers that makes them a little cooler.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

yes the magnets are fully charged then aged so they are weaker than a typical full strength magnet.

Comment

I loved my surfers and I don't remember any lack of output with them. They had the same kinda output that my Fralins and VanZandts had. Tex Sp.'s were louder but that's known. So... what are those 6.05K A5 pickups you are comparing against?

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far!

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
            So... what are those 6.05K A5 pickups you are comparing against?
            They're clones of vintage pickups that a winder named Chris Hernandez made for me a while back. He sells on ebay. I didn't mention the name because I figured not many people would know them.

Comment

The two sets of pickups are almost certainly voiced slightly differently, so one might hit harder in areas where your ears (or the amp) are more sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by spi View Post
                Thanks for the replies so far!

They're clones of vintage pickups that a winder named Chris Hernandez made for me a while back. He sells on ebay. I didn't mention the name because I figured not many people would know them.
                Maybe he's charging his rod mags with a bit more Gauss than what Duncan uses in these surfers. At one point in time, I had a gaussmeter and was measuring them as well. DC and Gauss you know...

Here is the pic of the mag charging machine at Fender (factory tour) on which both the Gauss to be charged and the polarity can be set I suppose. In fact, with a flip of a switch, they can make a pickup reverse polarity. I've seen them do it. And I suppose they charge tex specials with a bit more mag field, and they sound louder than Fender's other pickups that have roughly the same DC resistance values.

B
                Attached Files

Comment

Another thing to add.....magnets are not all the same either. You can have A5 from different suppliers that will end up at different gauss levels at stable full charge, and sound different too....even though they are nominally the same grade.

Comment

What Alex said, and even you charge them with the same gauss, mags from different suppliers sound different. I own about 30 magnets from different sources and a gaussmeter. I compared two JBs and measured and swapped their mags. The difference was small and but audible. The new JB now has a UOA5!
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                      Maybe he's charging his rod mags with a bit more Gauss than what Duncan uses in these surfers. At one point in time, I had a gaussmeter and was measuring them as well. DC and Gauss you know...

Here is the pic of the mag charging machine at Fender (factory tour) on which both the Gauss to be charged and the polarity can be set I suppose. In fact, with a flip of a switch, they can make a pickup reverse polarity. I've seen them do it. And I suppose they charge tex specials with a bit more mag field, and they sound louder than Fender's other pickups that have roughly the same DC resistance values.

B
                      WT10A Gauss Meter:

I am tempted to buy this.

B

Comment

Working...
                      X