2 Posts/questions in 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Posts/questions in 1

So a while back my deut post here was asking about stacked single coils and single sized humbuckers

well, I got the strat, I got the pickups...2 red devils and a lil 59....and I hate it...

Not that they aren't good pickups, they just aren't what I was looking for. They just sound weak and not enough OOMPH to them

MY old main guitar was an HH Tele and it has a 59 in the neck and Custom in the bridge and it is incredible. I love that guitar. And I'm kind of interest in capturing that in a strat. I also have an HS Tele...stock single coil in the bridge, Jazz in the neck...sounds great. powerful.

So where did this "weakness" come from...why does my HH tele sound like Jeff Beck and EVH had a one night stand, but the strat sounds thin and weak and sterile...is it because of the maxim that single sized humbuckers just can't truly replicate a full sized pickup? ORRR is it because the strat itself (be it wood, construction or whatever) just can't sound BIG/HEAVY?

To remedy this I'm gonna give one more shot...put full sized humbuckers in this bastard. But is this a waste of time...is the weakness of the strat because of the strat, or just because I've picked the wrong pickup (for me)? Opinions?

ONTO THE 2ND part....if we go the HB route, I've decided on the 59 in the neck. I have them in les pauls, SG...they sound amazing. but bridge pickup...obviously I love the custom...I have a C5 in the bridge of my SG, great pickup...I have always been intrigued by the Eclair in the custom shop...but worried it may be too high output and too big a risk....pretty expensive in case I don't like it...if I love the Custom in my tele, what pickup would be best for me in a thin-ish sounding strat in terms of output and beefiness? I do know and love the Custom, I'm just not sure it will behave the same in my strat as it does in a tele...thoughts?
    Last edited by greg.delta; 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM.

Re: 2 Posts/questions in 1

Well, I can see that the Red Devil/Little 59 set wouldn't be what you were after if you like the 59 and Custom in your Tele. I'd go for a Custom Custom in the bridge, with your 59 in the neck. It isn't thin or weak, and occupies a huge swath of frequencies.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Well, I can see that the Red Devil/Little 59 set wouldn't be what you were after if you like the 59 and Custom in your Tele. I'd go for a Custom Custom in the bridge, with your 59 in the neck. It isn't thin or weak, and occupies a huge swath of frequencies.
      I'm not doubing or denying...but am curious why I would like this over my beloved custom or a custom 5? Is it just good for strats in general? Are strats inherently thin, so the Custom Custom compensates?

Comment

Originally posted by greg.delta View Post
        I'm not doubing or denying...but am curious why I would like this over my beloved custom or a custom 5? Is it just good for strats in general? Are strats inherently thin, so the Custom Custom compensates?
        Strats certainly can sound thinner, and the Custom Custom does compensate for that. It is especially good for 1 guitar bands. It is a Custom 5 with an alnico II magnet, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Strats certainly can sound thinner, and the Custom Custom does compensate for that. It is especially good for 1 guitar bands. It is a Custom 5 with an alnico II magnet, btw.
          I feel like the strat sounds thinner because of the giant chunk of wood missing in the back? and the tele (and teles in general) sound so beefy because they're one thick plank? any credence to that theory? will this thinness become emphasized by a normal custom w/ ceramic?

I know it sounds like I'm harping on the regular custom a lot, and I fully expect a response of "if you love the Custom so much, just get a custom"... its just that it sounds so great in my tele. i know it and love it so it's my only basis of comparison. Is the consensus that the regular custom will just be too thin in a strat?
          Last edited by greg.delta; 03-18-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

How about running them in serial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by greg.delta View Post
              So a while back my deut post here was asking about stacked single coils and single sized humbuckers

well, I got the strat, I got the pickups...2 red devils and a lil 59....and I hate it...

Not that they aren't good pickups, they just aren't what I was looking for. They just sound weak and not enough OOMPH to them

MY old main guitar was an HH Tele and it has a 59 in the neck and Custom in the bridge and it is incredible. I love that guitar. And I'm kind of interest in capturing that in a strat. I also have an HS Tele...stock single coil in the bridge, Jazz in the neck...sounds great. powerful.

So where did this "weakness" come from...why does my HH tele sound like Jeff Beck and EVH had a one night stand, but the strat sounds thin and weak and sterile...is it because of the maxim that single sized humbuckers just can't truly replicate a full sized pickup? ORRR is it because the strat itself (be it wood, construction or whatever) just can't sound BIG/HEAVY?

To remedy this I'm gonna give one more shot...put full sized humbuckers in this bastard. But is this a waste of time...is the weakness of the strat because of the strat, or just because I've picked the wrong pickup (for me)? Opinions?

ONTO THE 2ND part....if we go the HB route, I've decided on the 59 in the neck. I have them in les pauls, SG...they sound amazing. but bridge pickup...obviously I love the custom...I have a C5 in the bridge of my SG, great pickup...I have always been intrigued by the Eclair in the custom shop...but worried it may be too high output and too big a risk....pretty expensive in case I don't like it...if I love the Custom in my tele, what pickup would be best for me in a thin-ish sounding strat in terms of output and beefiness? I do know and love the Custom, I'm just not sure it will behave the same in my strat as it does in a tele...thoughts?
              1. What is the make and model of the strat? If custom, what kind of wood is the neck made from, and what type of wood is the body made from?

2. Post pics of the wiring in the control cavity. Maybe there is an error somewhere. "Weakness" was mentioned. Singlecoil sized humbuckers are not weak sounding in my experience. A wiring error could be resulting in one or more pickups being out of phase , which is an extremely weak sound
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Well, I'm just gonna go for it and go for full sized HBs...59 and SH-5. we'll see wha happens, but from what I've seen, single size HBs will never sound like the FULL size deal, so maybe that's why I was dissatisfied.

Comment

Well, no, they sound and feel a little different, but in some instances, I am just fine with that trade off. The problem comes when people expect them to sound exactly the same, and that's when the disappointment happens.

Comment

Full-Size vs. Single-Coil-Size:
                    https://youtu.be/TSo6ioT8g1M

Comment

Originally posted by guitaroholic View Post
                      Full-Size vs. Single-Coil-Size:
                      https://youtu.be/TSo6ioT8g1M
                      interesting. to my ears the SCs are...missing something. no beef

Comment

Working...
                      X