banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

Looking for versatile neck pickup possessing bite with gain in a Les Paul guitar.

Always find that neck pickups are on the muddy/mushy side.

Heard that the A2Pro (APH-1) is on the dark, perhaps buttery side, so I fear mud/mush with it. I read that the APH-2 Slash has more bite, but also read that it has less highs than the APH-1.

The 59 could be cool, but I don't like the boomy bass on the low strings. Read that the A2 magnet does wonders for it.

For the bridge, I would likely get the "vintage" model that corresponds to the neck.

I play all genres through an Ax8.

Thanks
    Last edited by jmcorey; 03-19-2020, 02:58 PM.

Re: Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

i wouldnt say any of those have much bite at all

Comment

Re: Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

To me, the only stock neck hum that has bite is the full shred. Which is why I don't use them for general playing. The pups you listed are all maximum warmth options. I use an A5/A2 59 as my jazz pickup.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 03-20-2020, 12:31 AM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

a2 is not a good mag for bite. a4 in a 59 would be a better option. not as sharp as a5 on top but has less boom on the bottom too

Comment

Try a full shred with an a2 magnet. The charvel dnky 24 has an Alnico2pro in the neck but it’s got two rows of hex screws. It’s essentially an a2 full shred. I really really like the tone of it. It’s got a single coil like attack and is articulate but has a warmth to it too.

Comment

I use an AX8, too. Is there a reason you are wanting to stick to an A2 magnet, as opposed to A5? Of your choices, I'd go with the Slash, but otherwise, I'd open it up to some A5 pickups, like the Jazz.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Saturday Night Special neck or Set, you'll be happy. Bridge is a little "more" than vintage, but in a good way, and the neck pickup is clear, has mids, has bass but not too much, you'll find yourself using the middle position on your Les Paul more than you ever thought you would.

Comment

I concur with the recommendation for A4: either the SNS neck or a 59N w/A4.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I love the full shred neck, has almost as much bite as most bridge pickups, but the SNS is another good option.

Comment

A4 59

Comment

As soon as you said "bite" I thought of Pearly Gates. I thought that the choices you listed were WAY off base. Essentially the opposite. But if you want an A2 pup, PG is the way to go. And the good thing is, if you want even more bite you can put in an A5 or A8 mag.

Otherwise you should consider a pup with A5 mag.

Or better yet, a P-90!
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        As soon as you said "bite" I thought of Pearly Gates. I thought that the choices you listed were WAY off base. Essentially the opposite. But if you want an A2 pup, PG is the way to go. And the good thing is, if you want even more bite you can put in an A5 or A8 mag.

Otherwise you should consider a pup with A5 mag.

Or better yet, a P-90!
                        So you think that the PG neck has more bite than the others?

What do you think compared to a regular 59?

Comment

Oh yeah.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Pearly Gates is a great choice. It is the brightest, bite-iest A2 pickup I've ever used.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For me, bite and/or less muddy in the neck of a Les Paul would be (in order):
                              Jazz
                              Pearly Gates
                              Black Winter
                              59/A4
                              WLH
                              Seth

...there are others I've heard are brighter, cleaner, not muddy, like Full Shred or Demon necks, but I haven't tried them

Comment

Working...
                              X