banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    For me, bite and/or less muddy in the neck of a Les Paul would be (in order):
    Jazz
    Pearly Gates
    Black Winter
    59/A4
    WLH
    Seth

...there are others I've heard are brighter, cleaner, not muddy, like Full Shred or Demon necks, but I haven't tried them
    Wow. That's fascinating.

And surprising. I have read so many people on this forum complain about how dark the PG neck is. So I guess that is why I did not include it in my original list of candidates.

Comment

Re: Which has more bite in the neck: APH-1, APH-2 (Slash), or 59 with A2 magnet?

Also, "Crunch" sound samples for neck pickup revealed a dramatic difference between the APH-1 and APH-2 (Slash), with the slash having much more bite.

Comment

Well I guess I don't know what you mean by "bite" because the APH-2 has more winds than the APH-1 so it's going to have more mids and sound smoother. That's not what I would call "bite".
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Well I guess I don't know what you mean by "bite" because the APH-2 has more winds than the APH-1 so it's going to have more mids and sound smoother. That's not what I would call "bite".
          One forum member, in a post regarding the differences between APH-1 and APH-2, stated that he thought the APH-2 had more bite. Hence, the question in my post.

After the initial responses on this post, I listened to the sound samples on the website of the pickup choices that I posted. On the Crunch recording, the APH-2 has more high end, which I call "bite" than the APH-1. I don't know all the differences between the pickups and how they are made, but it's there in the recording!

Comment

Those sound bites are there to give you a general idea of what the pups sound like. They aren't accurate enough to compare specific details.

In any case, the PG has much more treble and bite than either of the APHs.

Comment

Perhaps a dumb question, but...

Are you using stock Gibson 300k pots, or 500k pots?
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ah, Bob's got a point. If you've got 300k or 250k pots you might want to change them to 500k or even 1 meg. That should improve brightness and clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Ah, Bob's got a point.
                  It happens now and again...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Slash is brighter to me, too. I don't think it is brighter than the PG, though, but I never had them in the same guitar. Is there a reason you want an A2 magnet?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The Slash is brighter to me, too. I don't think it is brighter than the PG, though, but I never had them in the same guitar. Is there a reason you want an A2 magnet?
                      Not specifically, per se. A5s can be sort of strident.... But I guess that depends on the wind.

But not a fan of the 59 N (boomy) or the Jazz N (anemic).
                      Last edited by jmcorey; 03-21-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

PGn!

59 with an a4 is a great PAF clone, but does not sound like an a2 you know. If you want to have some of that a2 softness but with bite and clarity... PGn is the ticket.

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

If you find the Jazz neck "anemic", try the Jazz bridge in the neck position. Or even a Demon. Neither of those sound even close to anemic to me. But I thought you're original concern was more brightness/bite. If so, then I still say the PG is your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Picker View Post
                            Saturday Night Special neck or Set, you'll be happy. Bridge is a little "more" than vintage, but in a good way, and the neck pickup is clear, has mids, has bass but not too much, you'll find yourself using the middle position on your Les Paul more than you ever thought you would.
                            ABSOLUTELY!!
                            Used a SNS set in my semi Hollow Carvin AE 185 and have been astounded at just how sweet and clear it was. Liked it so much just bought a second SNS neck to go in my Carvin ST 300 with a Hybrid in the bridge.
                            Here is the AE 185 wih the SNS set
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I would recommend a Jazzn with an A3, but what ever you choose put in a cap in series as a high pass filter. It really clears up the neck position in a LP. I have it on 2 guitars and it made a huge difference.

Muddy sounding neck pickup? Try Seymour’s quick tech fix By Seymour Duncan Tech Guru Scott Miller People often call and ask how to fix a muddy sounding neck pickup. Some years ago, Seymour taught me a cool trick to fix this exact problem. If you connect a .047 capacitor in series (directly in-line) with the...

Comment

Working...
                              X