Which Quarter Pounds for a Mustang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Quarter Pounds for a Mustang?

Hey, folks, long time reader first time poster.

Anywho, I've got a Fender Mustang (basic 3 position switch) and I'm toying with ditching the stock pickups in favor of some SD QP's. Should I go this route, do I just get 2 of the SSL-4's, or do I get one SSL-4 and a SSL-4 reverse wound? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Re: Which Quarter Pounds for a Mustang?

Welcome to the forum!

I had this setup before and really liked an ssl4 in the bridge and an ssl6 in the neck. The neck has more cut and they balance better that way. You can get 1 of them rwrp if you want.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Mustangs have by design had one RW/RP pickup, since their inception. That said, since you have a normal Gibson-style 3-way switch, you aren't getting the usual/classic Mustang switching options anyhow, so it's not super critical. You will get noise cancelation in the middle position if you get one pickup RW/RP, but I'm not sure if you want that when you've got both single pickup positions humming away anyhow. It's your call. Personally, if both single pickups were humming, I'd rather have the middle position just go ahead and match in terms of noise. If, however, you mainly live in the middle switch position, you might want to make it noise free.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

I had this setup before and really liked an ssl4 in the bridge and an ssl6 in the neck. The neck has more cut and they balance better that way. You can get 1 of them rwrp if you want.
        Any reason you opted to mix and match rather than just running 2 QP's? and any thoughts on the SSL-4 flats vs the SSL-7 staggereds?
        Last edited by Rampant Pony; 03-23-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I prefer the sound and the look of flat poles. I liked mixing because the ssl6 cuts a little more in the neck and they balance better volume wise, you don't have to crank the bridge up and the neck down.
          I bought them for you

Comment

I prefer the sound and the look of flat poles. I liked mixing because the ssl6 cuts a little more in the neck and they balance better volume wise, you don't have to crank the bridge up and the neck down.
            Thanks for the info, in your opinion is it worth forking out the extra money for a RW/RP?

Comment

No prob. Rwrp isn't really necessary to only gain 1 position of hum cancellation. A cool trick you could do with 1 rwrp is replace the tone with a blender knob. So if you're in neck position and blend in only a little bridge it will start to cancel hum. That way you can get quiter neck and bridge sounds. Or you could use a double pot and have vol, tone, and blender.
              I bought them for you

Comment

No prob. Rwrp isn't really necessary to only gain 1 position of hum cancellation. A cool trick you could do with 1 rwrp is replace the tone with a blender knob. So if you're in neck position and blend in only a little bridge it will start to cancel hum. That way you can get quiter neck and bridge sounds. Or you could use a double pot and have vol, tone, and blender.
                Good info. As it sits right now, I'm likely to just buy 2 SSL-4's, wire them up normally and see what I think of them. Change them out as necessary. Of course, I'm still in the planning stage at this point, what with all the nonsense going on in the world right now.

Comment

Working...
                X