Custom or Nazgul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom or Nazgul?

I'm kinda curious about trying either of these pickups. I like my EMG's right now, but I feel like I'm missing some of that low-end chunk and high-end raspiness that passives have and actives don't.

In the past, my favorite passives have been the Black Winter and the Duncan Distortion. I've also liked the JB, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for right now. I also want to advantage of this opportunity to try some other pickups out rather than going for something that I've already tried.

I want a pickup with power. I'm aware these aren't meant to be ultra-high-output monsters like the BW, but neither is the EMG 81, so if they can at least keep up with the 81, I'll be happy. I also want a good upper-mid emphasis with scooped low mids for added clarity and cut. I want a fast, tight low-end that's solid and not thin. I also want some rasp up top. I don't need versatility, just a good tight, fast, cutting pickup with a hint of old-school grind and dirtiness.

Either pickup would be going into an LTD EC, and would be used through an EVH LBX for some high-gain chuggy Gothenburg-y stuff, if that helps any.

Which of these two pickups would fit my description bettar, and I'd be happier with?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-24-2020, 08:12 PM.

Re: Custom or Nazgul?

To me ears the Custom has plenty of lows and low mids, so maybe it's not what you're looking for.

It actually is one of my favorite Duncans, making a guitar sound full and in your face. Have the trembucker version in my PRS SE Custom 24 Flametop, matched with a Pearly Gates neck.

Have no experience with the Nazgul.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

My general advice to most heavy rock/metal guitar players asking bridge pickup questions, based purely on my own 30+ years of bridge humbucker swappery - if you aren't already familiar with the Custom, try the Custom.

First because it's just a fantastic pickup that really does all of the things rock/metal players tend to ask a bridge pickup to do. I've used it in Fenders and LPs many times over, and if I can't do it with a Custom I really can't do it. Drop tuning or not, reasonably tight, cuts through well, sounds as big as you need it to - it's kind of a "meaty" and generally heavy pickup. You won't have any problems next to an 81. It's decent for rock cleans. And my experience with it is that it's pretty consistent - some other pickups I like at least seem to be much more hot/cold from one guitar to the next. All passive pickups do that, but I don't know the Custom just seems to do it less dramatically or something. Not like the EMG 81 does but still fairly consistent.

Second, because (at least to me) it doesn't possess any extreme characteristics or tradeoffs that other well-known (but good) pickups tend to be known for - even if it turns out to be not what you're looking for, there's a very good chance you'll still find it usable and without any overly offensive traits. The JB for example has a particular sound that doesn't work for a lot of players, a bridge 59 might not be enough gain, an active like an EMG-81 may lack the "warmth" this or that person wants, a boutique model may come with a high price tag. Not overly boomy, fizzy, scooped or honky. No unusual aesthetics with uncommon pole pieces or whatever.

Third, and I understand you may not be into this, but you're basically a magnet swap away from a couple other popular Seymour models. I think the Custom is by far the best one having tried them all, but the option is there.

Now for lighter gain classic rock, or very modern metal djent stuff, I wouldn't pick it for someone else. But I've played a lot of everything from hair metal to drop-C 90s-00s metal for many years with great results and could push harder if I needed to. These days I use it about half the time, with the 59 being my choice for older rock/country and especially surf rock, and the JB for what it does. I also have a good history with Duncan Distortions so we may be in the same range of stuff.

It would definitely be my choice if I had to live the rest of my life with one pickup, I'm always right there or at least in the ballpark with it. And again, it's a common and inexpensive pickup.
      Last edited by riserobotsrise; 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Re-reading that it sounds like I'm describing a jack-of-most-trades "safe" pickup. What I mean to say is that it's a beast you can hammer down on people's skulls with if you & your amp/cab are up to it.

Haven't tried the Nagzul.

Comment

Well, to me, the Custom has the lows. But the Nazgul has the raspy highs and upper mids. Something like a Custom 8 might have both.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes.

The way I'm hearing the Custom in the clips is it's overall REALLY scooped, almost PAF-like, except it seems to have more of a high-mid/lower-treble grind rather than the open airy top-end of a PAF with a chunky low-end, but not much low mids to speak of, at least not compared to the JB... that's what I'm hearing, but maybe it's just me? I wonder... how hot is it? Is it as hot as the JB? Or is it lower output? Its wind doesn't seem as hot on paper, but it's got a more powerful magnet.

How about the Nazgul. I've read the Nazgul is sometimes described a having a low mid growl... which is not really what I'm after. Also, how hot is it?

Comment

I own both a TB-4 and a TB-5, and to my ears the lows and lower mids are more evident on the latter.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I have been using emg 81 for years...
                Tried several pickups including some boutique choises such as BK...
                I curently use the Lace Deathbucker and I kinda find many similarities to 81...apart from the compressed low-mids the rest in typical 81...with more extended highs and lows...
                USE 250K pots with lace deathbucker if you ever try it...

Comment

I love the Deathbucker.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I've played both the Nazgul and Custom for quite a while and dig them both, but if I had to choose I'd take the Custom (which I did). It's fuller and has more of the crispy/crunchy high end I like. I know the Nazgul gets more hype, and oddly has a lot of haters out there, but if I couldn't play a Custom in my LTD H7, I'd be fine with the Nazgul again.

I have recordings with each if you want to hear them, but the Naz is thru my old HD500x and the Custom is thru the HX Stomp, so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comp or anything.

Comment

I think the Custom is as hot as the distortion, and maybe hotter than the JB. Just a different kind of hot. The JB/Distortion have a perceived loudness because of the mids, whereas the Custom has less of that.

Custom is just a great all around hot@$$ pickup. Try it.

Can't speak to the Nazgul, but it always seems like a Distortion variant, like the BW to me...No personal experience though.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        How about the Nazgul. I've read the Nazgul is sometimes described a having a low mid growl... which is not really what I'm after. Also, how hot is it?
                        I wouldn't say the Nazgul has a low mid growl. More of an upper-mid spike with (as Mincer said) a raspiness in the highs. If you're in the "Will it chug?" camp, have no fear: it can chug for days. It's plenty hot -- on paper not quite as hot as a JB, for instance, but it's got an extra grind that makes it sound hotter than it actually is. Very controllable at lower tunings and with buckets of distortion. I love it, but it is definitely a polarizing pickup. You either like what it does or you don't. Also not particularly versatile so if you want the pickup to do more than one thing Custom is probably a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                        X