The infamous Duncan Custom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The infamous Duncan Custom!

I wanted to see if anyone could persuade me into buying a Duncan Custom before I take the plunge and get another Rio Grande BBQ. I found a local shop with a good deal on the Rio set, but there is still something I like about the C-5 in my LP. It's just not quite there....not as fat or thick as I like. The only thing that has kept me from the Custom is the ceramic bar thinking it take away warmth and a good clean tone and maybe not have the fat bass response of the BBQ.

Re: The infamous Duncan Custom!

Originally posted by papersoul
    I wanted to see if anyone could persuade me into buying a Duncan Custom before I take the plunge and get another Rio Grande BBQ. I found a local shop with a good deal on the Rio set, but there is still something I like about the C-5 in my LP. It's just not quite there....not as fat or thick as I like. The only thing that has kept me from the Custom is the ceramic bar thinking it take away warmth and a good clean tone and maybe not have the fat bass response of the BBQ.
    DUDE! just buy the darn thing and settle your mind! i see you have many posts on this model and you will never know if you dont just try it!
    take my latest experience for example,i kept hearing how harsh, ratty sounding the wolfgang pups were by many others how they like the guitar and hate the stock pups, but recently my bud got a wolfgang and brought it over my house, i was floored by the tone the pups! they are now my favorites i was using the PAF pro but the wolfies murder it!
    just goes to show you asking advise is not always the best bet for choosing pups

Comment

Yes, those Wolfgang pickups are great but in the Wolf I found the whole combo bright and not nearly as smooth and warm as others I've tried.

Comment

Yes, those Wolfgang pickups are great but in the Wolf I found the whole combo bright and not nearly as smooth and warm as others I've tried.
        yeah it really is a matter of taste which is why i said what i said about just trying this custom model yourself ? it seems to be haunting/tormenting you

Comment

hey man have you tried a air zone? it is a fat paf tone,real warm and friendly and uses a alnico 5

Comment

I think I responded to a couple of your other Custom threads, but talk is cheap

Custom - LP - Marshall 2204 Clip
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
              hey man have you tried a air zone? it is a fat paf tone,real warm and friendly and uses a alnico 5
              I called a store out of Harrisburgh and the owner said he likes Duncans, Rio Grandes are his favorite, but he didn't like the AZ and TZ at all....so that turned me off. He has about 100 guitars and has Rios, Voodoos, and Duncans in all of them and said he stopped using Dimarzios because the Duncans and Rios are better. Again this is his opinion and others love the AZ.

Comment

Excuse my temerity, but just buy one. The worst thing that can happen is that you realize itīs not exactly what you want.

But thatīs what the 21-day "Real World" policy is for. If itīs too agressive = switch to a C-5. Not enough harmonics = JB, not "thrashy" enough = Distortion.

I really donīt know what else to say, as Iīve said it all something like 1000 times before

BTW: I steer away from Dimarzios (and also REFUSE to incorporate them into custom axes). Dimarzioīs business practices make me puke, WD and Ruby Tubes/Magic parts the same (and I USED Ruby tubes and MP Speakers until their little "legal action" against Ruby Amplifiers, that one hit home.). I could just as well endorse Microsoft products or the actions of the RIAA, or Say "BUY CHINESE!!" if I were to do otherwise
                Last edited by Zerberus; 04-15-2004, 03:48 PM.
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Yahbut what about the Custom, yahbut what about the BBQ, oh but the C-5!
                  Yahbut, lets not forget Fillmores, and the fat CC.

Metal Rich was good, oh but what about PaperSoul? I'm kinda leaning
                  toward "Yahbut." LOL
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Zerb, what about Dimarzio patenting "creme" pickups. gotta love that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                      Yahbut what about the Custom, yahbut what about the BBQ, oh but the C-5!
                      Yahbut, lets not forget Fillmores, and the fat CC.

Metal Rich was good, oh but what about PaperSoul? I'm kinda leaning
                      toward "Yahbut." LOL

Comment

ahahahah
                        HEJ... DONīT FORGET BILL LAWRENCE L500XL.
                        unholy sound
                        i have lots of clips...
                        dimarzios and duncans
                        PM me and give me yoru email and i will send clisp to you, with pleaseure.
                        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Okay, fine...I'm buying one!

Zebra? Black? Covered? Hmmmmmm

Comment

I think the Custom is infamous as compared to the Distortion or the BBQ. No pizzaz, no harmonics, it's simply a mildly scooped very Hot PU. It is very balanced though so no ice pick tone.
                            Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                              Zerb, what about Dimarzio patenting "creme" pickups. gotta love that one.
                              As stated, their Business practices make my stomack churn. This is a prime example
                              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                              X