X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HSH Wiring Help - Auto-PARALLEL?

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Good point.

So i think the OP is out of luck to get Parallel-humbucker+middle pup in HSH format with zero additional switches being called into play.

That is because in order to put a humbucker in parallel using a 4 pole superswitch, you have to dedicate two poles of a superswitch to that humbucker. To do that for 2 humbuckers, now all 4 poles of a superswitch are consumed. None left over. This diagram helps demonstrate that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104188[/ATTACH]
    MyAmpIsBetter,

So beginning to go down the road of adding just 1 additional switch, we could add a Fender S1 switch - which is a 4 pole switch and like a push-pull (so it has a pot for volume or tone functionality) *but* is push-push - you might not mind push-push like you do push-pull. That single switch can change *both* humbuckers from series mode to parallel mode, in a single action. You could trigger it in Positions 2 and 4, as well as positions 1 and 5 if you desire. Something to consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f9b5ffce-f1b7-4615-96d2-adc7bb79b32a.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	5818740
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Good point.

So i think the OP is out of luck to get Parallel-humbucker+middle pup in HSH format with zero additional switches being called into play.

That is because in order to put a humbucker in parallel using a 4 pole superswitch, you have to dedicate two poles of a superswitch to that humbucker. To do that for 2 humbuckers, now all 4 poles of a superswitch are consumed. None left over. This diagram helps demonstrate that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104188[/ATTACH]
      I continued looking at this diagram, and i figured out a way to tie the middle pickup into Positions 2, 3 and 4. Working up a modded diagram on my computer. Will post it shortly.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

MyAmpIsBetter,

So beginning to go down the road of adding just 1 additional switch, we could add a Fender S1 switch - which is a 4 pole switch and like a push-pull (so it has a pot for volume or tone functionality) *but* is push-push - you might not mind push-push like you do push-pull. That single switch can change *both* humbuckers from series mode to parallel mode, in a single action. You could trigger it in Positions 2 and 4, as well as positions 1 and 5 if you desire. Something to consider.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104189[/ATTACH]
        Interesting idea, hadn't considered an S1 switch yet. I'm definitely not opposed to push/pulls, I use em all the time. I just wanted to try to keep the controls dead simple for no real reason other than I've just got some fancy Bournes EVH speed pots that I'm itching to use on a Dinky I just picked up, and the 3 way switch that came with the guitar is one of those rugged Japanese ones that never die. I just like to leave guitars as they are for the most part and only upgrade what is lacking, so I'm thinking though it might be worth it to just do it with the push pull/S1 method. Seems easy enough.

Thanks everyone for helping brainstorm!

Comment

I continued looking at this diagram, and i figured out a way to tie the middle pickup into Positions 2, 3 and 4. Working up a modded diagram on my computer. Will post it shortly.
          After spending more time on it, i found that i cannot tie the middle pickup in *just* on Positions 2, 3 and 4. Middle pickup would actually become active on all positions.

Comment

Originally posted by myampisbetter View Post
            Interesting idea, hadn't considered an S1 switch yet. I'm definitely not opposed to push/pulls, I use em all the time. I just wanted to try to keep the controls dead simple for no real reason other than I've just got some fancy Bournes EVH speed pots that I'm itching to use on a Dinky I just picked up, and the 3 way switch that came with the guitar is one of those rugged Japanese ones that never die. I just like to leave guitars as they are for the most part and only upgrade what is lacking, so I'm thinking though it might be worth it to just do it with the push pull/S1 method. Seems easy enough.

Thanks everyone for helping brainstorm!
            FYI: a push-pull only has 2 poles. To switch a *single* humbucker btw series and parallel modes, requires 2 poles. So if you go the push-pull route, you'll need two push-pulls total -one for each humbucker. The S1 switch has 4 poles so a single S1 can handle both humbuckers.

Comment

... and the 3 way switch that came with the guitar is one of those rugged Japanese ones that never die...
              A 3 way switch? Did you mean to write 5 way switch? If you want a Position 2 and Position 4 to exist, you will need a 5 way switch.

Comment

A 3 way switch? Did you mean to write 5 way switch? If you want a Position 2 and Position 4 to exist, you will need a 5 way switch.
                Lol yes I meant 5 way switch. Typed it on the computer so I can't blame auto correct.

I didn't know the S1 was double pole, that's really interesting. Do you happen to know if they make a version that's more like a push/pull and doesn't use a Strat knob? Kinda wanna stick with the chrome knobs aesthetic. If not, I'll probably just end up doing the double push/pull thing.

Comment

Lol yes I meant 5 way switch. Typed it on the computer so I can't blame auto correct.

I didn't know the S1 was double pole, that's really interesting. Do you happen to know if they make a version that's more like a push/pull and doesn't use a Strat knob? Kinda wanna stick with the chrome knobs aesthetic. If not, I'll probably just end up doing the double push/pull thing.
                  They do make a chrome version for Tele's. But all S1's are push-push.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414_091919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5818746

Comment

I will say that the S1 is a very elegant and easy-to-use switch. I use one of them on my Music Man all the time. It splits both pickups.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X