Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super D: Please tell me about it...

Hi all,

Somehow I cannot get rid of the idea to get a Super D soapbar for my 76 deluxe... I have used one in the '90s along with an X2N and a Megadrive. I don't remember it that well. I was young, had a dual recto and was playing it with lotsa gain.

So how would it compare say with a c5? Or a CC? Is its bass side tighter? It'll have less highs, and that'll be a good fit because this deluxe has a maple neck and has already a snappy tone anyways. How about uppermids? I hate excessive uppermids that make everything sound like Angus you know. The thing is I kinda remember that SuperD was a bit "present" in the uppermids register and that kinda scares me on this guitar. But it could have my pedals and how I set the amp and rest of the gear. In those days, I was going for that uppermid heavy tone, which I kinda am trying to stay away from now.

Ideally, I would go custom shop and ask for a WLH or PATB-3 in a soapbar form this guitar. But it's pricey.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Super D: Please tell me about it...

Bass tighter than the CC for sure, Similar to C5, but thicker. Mid mids, and lower mids. Upper mids less. Good highs.

Maple neck will make it very flexible and more or less bright as per tone knob use.

P90 size may vary. I’m talking HB.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Excess upper mids is not a characteristic of the Super D. It has a ton of low mids.
      Soap bar vs. standard size Super is a little tighter, a little brighter, but still very much the same pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Bass tighter than the CC for sure, Similar to C5, but thicker. Mid mids, and lower mids. Upper mids less. Good highs.

Maple neck will make it very flexible and more or less bright as per tone knob use.

P90 size may vary. I’m talking HB.
        Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        Excess upper mids is not a characteristic of the Super D. It has a ton of low mids.
        Soap bar vs. standard size Super is a little tighter, a little brighter, but still very much the same pickup.
        Cool! I think I am gonna go for one.

B

Comment

Its nice, i find it a little closer to sh5 with more mids & different treble, more compressed ovrrall & more output

superD

Sh5

Comment

I'd say it is kind of like a not as hot invader with good highs.

Again - classic description: Bass, Mids, Thick, medium-hot, nice highs. Not too bright.

Everyone should have one. Far more flexible than most think, cleans are reasonable. But why would you...

Comment

Also - Custom 5 vs Custom Custom - those are bout as opposite as you get with a mag swap!

C5: Lots of Tight Bass, super mid scooped, Nice sharp highs
              CC: Loose bass, Ultramega mids, low fat highs

The Super D kinda rides the middle of those. Bass closer to C5, Mids closer (but not even close to) CC, highs thicker than C5, but not quite as present.

It's an epic great pickup for a reason.

Comment

I think it'll be a good fit for this deluxe, which already has that snappy maple neck tone you know. It's alive tho, so won't get dull results I think.

How about the neck? Did anybody try that DiMarzio DLX Soapbar? I can keep on using the stock mini, which is quite a good pickup. Still if that DLX Soapbar would be a good fit, I could look into it as well.

B

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post

How about the neck? Did anybody try that DiMarzio DLX Soapbar? I can keep on using the stock mini, which is quite a good pickup. Still if that DLX Soapbar would be a good fit, I could look into it as well.

B
                  Aren't they ceramic?
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Aceman covered it pretty good. The SuperD is a great pickup. The magic is the double-thick ceramic magnet with a wind that is closer to that of medium output pickups. It doesn't have the wind count of a JB or Invader and is different wire actually. It makes it powerful but ridiculously diverse as well. It's great split and usable in parallel mode. IMO, it is THE staple of the classic rock / metal pickups. I know that says a lot but I think it's the truth.

Comment

ive never tried the p90 size but i keep a super distortion around just cause it kicks ass

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                        Aren't they ceramic?
                        Yeah...

Magnet Ceramic
                        Resistance 13.8 Kohm

The bridge is like 17.2K. So the wire is #44?

I guess I just will get the super d for the bridge and keep on using the mini hb. In fact, I like it. I think it'll keep up with the bridge.

B

Comment

I have two Maple neck Les Pauls with Super D's, and one with a Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Cool!

Are you running any one of those super d's parallel? I am thinking about it.

B

Comment

F%$#$ no!!! What the hell is wrong with you????

I'm running full-tilt effing rock and roll!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X