banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do modern pups do with classic rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do modern pups do with classic rock?

This is running a Hybrid bridge with a Sentient neck mostly with both Split and on together together.

Will also pull off a pretty convincing Peter Green tone with the phase switch.
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-13-2020, 06:36 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

How do modern pups do with classic rock?

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      Depends on the pickup. The Saturday Night Specials are the bomb IMO for classic rock tones. The Hybrid is also fantastic in particular when paired with a Sentient in the neck.
      My bad. When I hear modern, my first thought is always a modern, high output sound rather than new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Nsatke81; 04-13-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
        My bad. When I hear modern, my first thought is always a modern, high output sound rather than new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Understand and most are just not all. I have argued for a while that producing the Sentient only with the matt bobbins and dark pole pieces then marketing it only as a metal pickup was a mistake. Tones are much more versatile and mainstream.
        The Saturday Night Specials were specificity designed for 70's and arena rock tones and they are KILLER!
        SNS Demo
        Last edited by Ascension; 04-13-2020, 11:01 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The sentient is a great neck pickup. It does pretty much everything. The Pegasus can get some classic tones. It’s maybe a bit too clear for them? The nazgul is not a classic sounding anything. You’ll get something if you split it but it’s a gnarly aggressive pickup not really meant for those tones. The black winter neck is surprisingly versatile. The winter bridge isn’t a one trick pony either but it is a higher output pickup. I think it would drive an old amp just fine. The omega is more like the nazgul and pretty modern sounding. It can do chimey sounds but it’s mean to have an aggressive snark to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
            The sentient is a great neck pickup. It does pretty much everything. The Pegasus can get some classic tones. It’s maybe a bit too clear for them? The nazgul is not a classic sounding anything. You’ll get something if you split it but it’s a gnarly aggressive pickup not really meant for those tones. The black winter neck is surprisingly versatile. The winter bridge isn’t a one trick pony either but it is a higher output pickup. I think it would drive an old amp just fine. The omega is more like the nazgul and pretty modern sounding. It can do chimey sounds but it’s mean to have an aggressive snark to it.
            Well, I think the Pegasus is a little less bright than the Jazz, which is good for classic rock. And I've tried the Pegasus through a 50 watt Plexi clone, and it was like a slightly brighter 59.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Modern pickups tend to be higher in output, so they'll mush up an amp more and result in less clarity than a "classic style" guitar would have in the '70s. But if you play through an amp with plenty of headroom, you should be fine. It's lower headroom amps that will end up too distorted and unclear with higher output pickups.

The other big factor is that modern pickups usually means a "balanced" set. That is, the neck is underwound, or the bridge is overwound, or both. Usually neck tones are clearer and bridge tones are thicker these days. The pickups are closer in tone and output, while in the old days, there was more difference between the pickups on a guitar: neck pickups were a lot louder and warmer than bridge pickups.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X