No announcement yet.

JB/59 swapped for Alternative 8/Jazz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB/59 swapped for Alternative 8/Jazz...

Charvel San Dimas that I have tuned to drop D. Just wasn't digging the JB or 59. Both are sort of stiff and dry sounding to me. Playing metal though a Mark V:25.

I kinda liked the JB's dynamics, just didn't like the mid honk. The 59 just sounded bland. Not sure how else to describe.

So decided to try the Alternative 8, sticking with an alnico magnet for this guitar, and the Jazz is sort of a no brainer.

Swapped them tonight... HOLY BALLS!!! The Alternative 8 is THICCCKKK!!! What a Monster!!! Love it!!!! While I don't use the neck much admittedly, the Jazz has more clarity and chime than the 59 I find.

I was worried the A8 was going to be muddy and boomy based on some reports, but even in drop D, and I guess the Mesa helps, but it sounds pretty defined, maintains the JB dynamics which is awesome!!

This will be my setup to noodle around for stuff like Tool, AIC.... just rolling back the volume gets into that territory while I was chugging in Mark IIC+ mode. At full volume, can do some Lamb of God. So overall, pretty STOKED on this A8/Jazz combo!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8EA8BFB1-83F4-4D45-BB4F-DA38107EF891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	5853764

--------------------------------------------------------------
    '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
    Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Re: JB/59 swapped for Alternative 8/Jazz...

Two really great sounding pups. Congrats on finding them and putting the two together.

The Alt 8 is a really full bodied pup, and the Jazz is by far my favorite neck bucker.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I took a bit of a gamble on the Alt 8. Sounded great in the Keith Merrow vid, but otherwise not many people talk about it. I think it’s a ridiculously underrated pickup.

The Jazz is just an awesome neck pickup if not the best.

'19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
      Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

mi_canuck, I haven't heard the phrase "holy balls" in years!!!!! You've just made my day, sir!

Also, glad to hear you got some pickups you love.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
          mi_canuck, I haven't heard the phrase "holy balls" in years!!!!! You've just made my day, sir!
          Lol!!!!

Comment

The JB has always been a hard pickup for me to like. I am happy you found the one for you!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very nice choices. I absolutely LOVE the Alternative 8. I have it in 3-4 of my guitars. Never lets me down-like a JB without the upper mid spike and "honk" as you say but a somewhat similar tone with a tad more output. I really like the Alnico 8 mag.
              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Have been a big and very outspoken fan of the Alt 8 for quite a while now. My neck pickup of choice with it however is the Sentient. To me it's a perfect match in tone clarity and articulation. In particular the 2 split together are very nice for killer cleans.
                This as an example is my solid KOA Carvin DC 127 with an Alt 8 bridge and Sentient neck running through my little 1/10 Boogie Subway Rocket combo. Not at all what you would expect huh?
                Last edited by Ascension; 04-12-2020, 10:19 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Backing a Brazilian Worship artist at a conference with the same rig. Alt 8 / Sentient makes for a super versatile combo with just a couple split switches and a 3 way!!
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                  X