Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat mod from SSS to HSS with vol pot selection

Hello guys.

I'm going to replace my STK-S4 bridge pickup to SD Hot Rails. Whole setup should has possibility to switch vol pot 500k (in case of Hot Rails) to 250k for the rest of single coils in positions 2 - 5.
    I fetched wiring diagram prepared by SD from here:

and adopted it to my visions below:

second one seem be the correct one.

Do my changes based on original diagram are made correctly? I would like to base only on 5 way super switch.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Mateusz
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matgra; 04-12-2020, 05:42 AM.

Re: Strat mod from SSS to HSS with vol pot selection

There are some issues on the diagram due to the connection of the various Red and White wires. They are used in the original diagram for coil splitting where they are connected to one side of the 5-way super switch.
    Since the coil-split function is using one side of the 5-way, there may be some limitation on what else can be connected. I also noticed the original diagram does not use any tone control for the bridge pickup.

Before making any suggestion, I want to ask what your objectives are.
    1) Would you like to keep the coil-split feature of this wiring scheme?
    2) Do you intend to add the Tone control for the bridge pickup?
    3) Do you prefer 250k or 500k value for the Tone controls?

Comment

I saw many opinions where people suggest using 500k for humbucker vol pot instead of 250k because it might be too muddy. This is quite interesting why SD keep 250k vol pot for all combinations?
      Coil-split is not necessary (currently I do not have coil-split) to me but I afraid that in position 2 and 4 hum will be audible (forgot mention that pickups set is STK-S4)
      Add Tone control for bridge pickup would be nice upgrade for my strat.

Comment

It was probably a deliberate choice for the original diagram not to use a tone control for the bridge pickup with 250k volume only. 500k volume and 500k tone will bring the loading back to 250k in total, so it seems to make sense from that point of view.

Comment

500k with a humbucker can be hit and miss. While 500k without tone pot is mandatory in the neck, in the bridge is it a matter of (tone) taste.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

How about original diagram? Is there any sense to use it? How about bridge pickup with 250k volume?

Comment

The STK-S4 and Hot Rails are vastly different pickups. What prompted the change?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't have experience with Hotrails pickups. If that is what you decided, then the original diagram seems worth trying with the standard 250k volume and no bridge tone control. The first mod I would consider would be to change the tone controls to 500k, then raise the height of the neck pickup to make the levels balance a bit better. Raising the STK-S4n high will reduce some of the top-end brightness, assuming you don't get too much magnetic string pull. When turning the 500k tone control back around 7-8, it will have 250k resistance. Maybe others can advise you better, based on their experience.

Comment

Working...
                X