Mixed coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed coils

I really like the custom/59 hybrid and I didn’t know if other people had tried others through the custom shop. I think it might be cool to try one coil of a custom/custom and another of the screamin demon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Mixed coils

Yeah there's lots of information on hybrids. Several guys use them and make their own. I bet ur idea would work well. Try making your own instead of waiting for ever for the custom shop. It's not too hard.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

probably cheaper to get two used duncans and swap the coils yourself than pay the cs $160 to do it for ya, and you get two pups!

Comment

There is a lot of info on this board about home made hybrids. It is a big deal for a lot of people and a good way to split the difference between tones. Add in magnet swaps, and you have a lot of options. If you come up with a great hybrid, let us know!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had a HH guitar with one DPDT switch each pickup
          - middle pos normal hb
          - other positions only either coil

So doing middle pos pickup switch with both - one could combine front coil in neck with front in bridge and anything else.
          So a wide hb kind of, or many options.
          Rather interesting and can be done with any 4 cord hb pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
            I had a HH guitar with one DPDT switch each pickup
            - middle pos normal hb
            - other positions only either coil

So doing middle pos pickup switch with both - one could combine front coil in neck with front in bridge and anything else.
            So a wide hb kind of, or many options.
            Rather interesting and can be done with any 4 cord hb pickup.
            That is a cool way to get different tones from your pups, but it won't sound, in any combination, like a true hybrid pup.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've done a couple Custom/Demon hybrids. I think they sound terrific. I like it better than than the C/59 hybrid. And because the outputs of the two coils are closer, it is a bit quieter...more hum cancelling.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                That is a cool way to get different tones from your pups, but it won't sound, in any combination, like a true hybrid pup.
                Just one option.

Or you make two hybrids yourself, moving bobbins yourself like suggested, and do that connection - and do wide version of original as option there.

Comment

Working...
                X