Pegasus custom hybrid: an overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus custom hybrid: an overview

For years, I felt the Air Norton was my 'to go' pickup. It is fat in the neck position, great for leads, but retains some clarity under high gain. It's got a lot of crunch in the bridge position: open, cutting, a bit clear but not bright and a chewy midrange for leads. Yeah, the Air Norton was my 'to go' pickup. It was just a bit boring, lacking in dynamics and was overall servicable but not great. I went on to other pickups I love but never one that kept me as engaged as the Norton.

Then I took it upon me to see what I could do with Duncan parts to get to the air norton's territory. Let's break it down.

Magnet
    The AN has an alnico V magnet; I believe the 'air' technology of the air norton is there to emulate an alnico II with an A5 magnet and since I can't replicate that part I have to work around that. I'd say, use an A2 (the air technology also gives for a weaker string pull) and get shorter polepieces to lower the inductance. The weaker magnet would also allow for a lower string pull for added sustain and harmonics.

Coils
    The AN has two asymmetrically wound coils, clocking in at 12.6K. I can use a Custom coil (7K) plus a screaming demon coil (5K) but I don't have that yet. I would also rather not use coils that are so severely mismatched for this round. I have used a Demon coil plus an SH6N and that yielded great results but for now, I'd stick to what I feel comfortable with. Making a hybrid isn't difficult perse, it's just a lot of work. So, I opted for a Custom coil plus a Pegasus. I now have a bit more copper on the coils than an AN but we'll see how far we can go.

Polepieces
    The AN uses regular fillister head screws and slugs. Slugs, fine. No biggy there. The screws, that's a bit of a pickle. I have an Alnico II to get into the air-bucked A5 territory but I have a hunch that this still might induce too much compared to the airbucked A5. Also, an Alnico II is notorious for giving you a squishy midrange and attenuated highs and spongy lows. The Norton does not have that; not really, anyway. So... Short poles it is! Lower inductance in that particular coil (custom coil, lookin' at you, just to even out the inductances between the coils even more, if that makes sense?) so the pick attack is super-accute in the final tonal product, just like the Norton.

Tone and Final Verdict

What the actual.... This pickup is so, so, so bonkers I can't wrap my head around it. It's been such a long time since I've been surprised.

Did I succeed in my goal of making an Air Norton with Duncan parts? No.
    I got a pickup that has the basic idea of the Air Norton, in it's rear view mirror. It's got much more grind than the AN, a LOT more power (oddly enough, despite having a weaker magnet and only being 0,75KOHms hotter: see? DCR doesn't tell the full picture!) but it's not like the buzzsaw-cut'n'grind of the SH6 for example. The rhythm tone is tight, aggressive even slightly percussive but never harsh: the top end cuts but never pierces, the midrange is huge (and then consider that I mid-scooped my amp, simply because I forgot to dial in a neutral tone at that moment: even then, the midrange was huge!) and the lows are so, so tight but not boomy.

If I were to make a tonal curve on a scale of 0 to 10 it'd be like this:

lows: 6
    lower mids: 6
    mid range: 7
    upper mids: 8
    highs: 8

For example, I'd value a JB like this:

lows: 5
    lower mids: 6
    mid range: 8
    upper mids: 9
    highs: 8

This custom/peg hybrid is approximately as hot as a JB but so much more aggressive and dynamically rich but without that odd upper mid spike of the JB which makes the JB so annoying and makes the JB only work in Tele's (imho ). It's not as nasal or honky as a Perpetual burn, it's more open and 'forward' than that (compare it to the mid shift on those old Boogie Mark amps, where you can place the midrange 'forwards' or 'backwards'). But it does have a vocal quality so leads, solo's jump out like crazy.

I don't know, guys, but this pickup feels like a winner to me. The Pegasus itself is too percussive, tight and slightly nasal to my taste. The custom Alnico II (custom custom) is too spongy for my taste, but this combination works immensely well. However, I have to admit, I haven't tried this in the neck positino because I matched it with a Pearly Gates-N/59N Alnico II hybrid, which is by itself an amazing pickup (glassy and clear but with a boldness and richness to the tone that works very well with the tonepot to fatten it up for thick, fat leads or clean, warm but clear and open chords with low gain).

Re: Pegasus custom hybrid: an overview

By the way, here's an overview of my favorite hybrids over the last 10 years as well as a few I wasn't so fond of. In bold my favorites.

JB/Fullshred (hot, crunchy rhythm, fluid cutting leads; best allround pickup to my ears: like a sophisticated Dimarzio EVO).
    JazzB/59B (best;neckpickup;ever! clear, open, articulate but not honky; works SO WELL with the tone pot).
    JazzN/59N (cleaner than the Bridge-version, flutey overtones, very very clean: not bad, just not my thing).
    SethN/PearlyN (fat, dirty, raunchy, nasty: like a pearly neck but not so honky and smushy)
    SethB/PearlyB (great paf-like bridge pickup: has the sweet, sticky dirty tone of a pearly combined with the glassiness and kindness of the Seth)
    Black Winter/Fullshred (ceramic = superhot, supertight, super-articulate, super everything: like a Dimarzio EVO: works well with the Blackout modular preamp too // A5 is like JB/Fullshred but a bit flatter EQ Curve)
    SH6N/Screaming Demon (tight, articulate, lots of crunch, cutting rhythm: leads howl; not as fluid as JB/FS: this pickup is the 1980ies metal scene in 1 pickup; JB/FS is much more allround).
    Pegasus/CustomCustom (bold, tight, clear, articulate, super-dynamics, extreme harmonics, notes howl and bloom: very 3D)
    Pearly/Custom A5 (like Pegasus/Custom but less modern, bit more vintage-vibed)
    Pearly/Custom A2 (like SethB/PearlyB but louder, tighter)
    Sentient/JazzN: very clean, bright, jangly, clear and flutey. Very effective in a guitar you need to brighten up. Not for me, at all.
    Alternative 8/ Fullshred: thick, tight, agressive, lots of crunch and bark, little bite. Like JB/FS but with love handles. Great in a 1 pickup Floyd Rose superstrat, not in an LP (unless you downtune to drop C). Alnico 5 is not a great match in this one for some reason: gives it a weird, honky tone.

The thing with these hybrids is that these are really different pickups from their originals. It's not *just* a tweaked JB or tweaked Fullshred etc etc. They sound and feel really different and, in my opinion, serve a musical and tonal purpose uniquely their own. Also, they sound and feel more open and much more dynamically rich than their non-hybridized counter parts. Only a handful of pickups SD makes in their standard lineup offer that feel. I find it interesting, and have so for the better part of the last decade, that SD is focussing so much on pedals and not on expanding their pickup lineup despite the opportunity hybrid pickups and new magnets provide.

So many great designs were left on the cutting room floor: the switchable BMP is one the I know of that got axed and can mention here because it was mentioned before by other SD employees but believe me when I say that many more GREAT ideas were launched but all, eventually, were cancelled or fizzled out, for yet another pedal.

But that's OK. If I can't get what I need or want from SD, I'll make it myself with their parts It's just a shame because the hybrids sound and feel so much better, imho.

So far my Monday morning blurb.

Comment

You could have half aired it and kept the a5.

Comment

I wonder if anybody has 3d printed screw coil spacers to mimic this.

Comment

Nice write up. A6 is great for softening things without going full A2 squishy.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Any chance you could record a short clip of it?

Comment

Now try it with a double thick A5!

What would you hybrid with a pearly plus?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                You could have half aired it and kept the a5.
                There was no A5 to keep since I started with a custom custom and not a custom 5. I have the other half (pegasus base + custom coil) ready too but not yet installed. Will let y'all know how that works out but I fear that pickup might be way too biting for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Nice write up. A6 is great for softening things without going full A2 squishy.
                  the A2 squishiness is combatted severely by the winds and the short polepieces. The squishiness is actually very timid in this pickup and works VERY well for the 'bloom' in the notes. By that I mean that the 'voice' of a note changes over time. Not just gets quieter in a second or two but really changes its vocality. If I can find an A6 and I would like to take the cover off, instal that mag, put the cover back on, fix the wax seal, yeah then I'll do it

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    Any chance you could record a short clip of it?
                    Yeah, sure, I can think about that. It's not like I have anything else to do during this quarantine thing?

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                      Now try it with a double thick A5!

What would you hybrid with a pearly plus?
                      same deal as A6. Don't want to take off the cover. This axe is exactly as the tone is in my head and I don't wanna mess that up Also... it's not easy to get a hold of double thick A5 in my neck of the woods without having to pay a multiple amount for shipping costs of what the magnet itself costs.

About the Pearly Plus: I haven't tried that pickup at all but if the tone I hear in my head when I read the specs is even remotely accurate, I'd pair it with a fairly underwound/weak 43AWG or 42AWG coil, depending on the tone I need. For example a Seth Lover Neck or a screaming demon coil.

Comment

I just picked up some double thick A5 and A8 mags to play with from axesrus in the Uk. I think I have half a full shred bridge still, that’s almost a custom, just need a Pegasus now.

The pearly plus is supposed to more like a 59+. A5 and almost 9k. I was thinking a jazz neck would be a good match as it’s lower output enough to make it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                          I just picked up some double thick A5 and A8 mags to play with from axesrus in the Uk. I think I have half a full shred bridge still, that’s almost a custom, just need a Pegasus now.

The pearly plus is supposed to more like a 59+. A5 and almost 9k. I was thinking a jazz neck would be a good match as it’s lower output enough to make it interesting.
                          AxesRUs is my house-brand of pickups and paraphernalia. How come I missed it they stock those parts. Damn.

(fullshred = custom5 with other polepieces: that's the only difference).

(AxesRUs makes, by the way, a m a z i ng pickups: humbuckers, strat singles, p90's, minihumbuckers. It's actually almost not funny anymore how good their pickups are).

Comment

Really want to hear this peg/custom now

Comment

Orpheo,

Great review.

You mentioned that you tried the SH-6/Demon and liked it. I'd be interested in your opinion of the Demon/Custom. I've tried that with several different magnets and really, really like it with an A8 for a bridge pup. A5 also sounds great to me.

Some day you must give it a try.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X