This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Can you explain what is wrong for others visiting this thread?
    BeauBrummels is correct, no sound would be produced in either of those.

I added a Red wire that would replace the current, errant Black wire that comes off the volume pot and goes to the 5 way switch.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thank you so much for adding that info to this thread.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Thank you so much for adding that info to this thread.
        No problem. Anything I can do to support a worthwhile thread.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Coil split to activate the adjustable screw coil. Wiring is incorrect, not sure what the correct way is, but this is not it.
          Top drawing is correct, bottom is wrong.

Comment

This is the correct way to wire the coil split to activate the screw coil.

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
              Coil split to activate the adjustable screw coil. Wiring is incorrect, not sure what the correct way is, but this is not it.
              Top drawing is correct, bottom is wrong.
              WDeeGee,

Both are valid methods, just different ways of going about the task. I have used each one successfully in different projects previously. Sometimes because of limitations imposed by the other design elements of the circuit you're working on, you're not able to route the Series Link Pair to Hot like in Method 2 BUT your circuit allows you to route it to Ground, so you employ Method 1 to achieve the end result.

Please see the attached summary "slide" I created in quick-and-dirty fashion, for the 2 methods and the short explanation of each I added to the left. Maybe those explanations will clear something up for you.

Why do you believe Method 1 is incorrect? Did you try it and it not worked? If yes, please start a separate thread and I would be glad to help you troubleshoot it.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-23-2021, 11:58 PM.

Comment

And just to clarify, Jack is correct. There's more than one way to "skin a kat", so to speak. Ultimately, what needs to be understood, is that if you want to "kill" the stud coil, you short out black and white. And if you want to "kill" the screw coil, you short out red and green. It doesn't matter, electrically, how you accomplish that. (Talking Seymour Duncan pups here. Others may be different.)

Comment

I took another look and yes, both methods would work. The second methode keeps the phase the same with both HB on and the first method reverses it?

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                    I took another look and yes, both methods would work. The second methode keeps the phase the same with both HB on and the first method reverses it?
                    No, phase remains normal in both methods.

If you would like to discuss further, please start a new thread. This particular thread is meant to be dedicated to just SD diagrams that have confirmed issues that need to be corrected eventually.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-25-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

in this diagram there is no tone control for the neck pickup. How do we fix that?Click image for larger version

Name:	duncan hot rails.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6068543

Comment

Originally posted by rdpar1 View Post
                        in this diagram there is no tone control for the neck pickup. How do we fix that?
                        This is basically the same question you asked here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ot-rail-wiring

Except that bridge and neck are reversed. That's ok. It IS a confusing issue. Normally, the "other" side of the 5-way would be used for tone control assignment duties. But in both of the diagrams that you linked to, that side of the 5-way is used for auto-split. So . . . now you have to decide: 2 tone controls, three pickups. Which gets what? Since in the #2 & #4 positions, pickups share a tone control, you have to pick which pup doesn't get a tone control when used by itself. Or, get a Superswitch.

Personally, I think the whole 2-tone system on a Strat was stupid from day one. Do master volume and master tone, and use the other hole for something far more useable. Like a blend pot.

My 2-cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

This is basically the same question you asked here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ot-rail-wiring

Except that bridge and neck are reversed. That's ok. It IS a confusing issue. Normally, the "other" side of the 5-way would be used for tone control assignment duties. But in both of the diagrams that you linked to, that side of the 5-way is used for auto-split. So . . . now you have to decide: 2 tone controls, three pickups. Which gets what? Since in the #2 & #4 positions, pickups share a tone control, you have to pick which pup doesn't get a tone control when used by itself. Or, get a Superswitch.

Personally, I think the whole 2-tone system on a Strat was stupid from day one. Do master volume and master tone, and use the other hole for something far more useable. Like a blend pot.

My 2-cents worth.
                          Artie,

funny; just finished my analysis and as I am getting ready to respond, you posted just minutes b4 me.

My analysis matches your conclusions and really the only thing I could maybe add is that the diagram being asked about has no actual error -like you explained, the limitations of a 5 way switch that only has 2 poles means you have to give some functionality up if you want to do something different with one of the two poles besides tone control routing - in this case supporting coilsplitting for multiple pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            My analysis matches your conclusions and really the only thing I could maybe add is that the diagram being asked about has no actual error . . .
                            Yup. And I probably should have stated that just so as not to confuse the poster, or anyone else, any more than necessary. Good catch.

Comment

All the forum talk about Blackout's, (specifically, the BMP), made me catch an error in the BMP_Standard_LesPaul diagram. There needs to be a connection between the two red arrows. "Output 2" is the neck output.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMP_Standard_LesPaul.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6071889

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                All the forum talk about Blackout's, (specifically, the BMP), made me catch an error in the BMP_Standard_LesPaul diagram. There needs to be a connection between the two red arrows. "Output 2" is the neck output.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BMP_Standard_LesPaul.jpg Views:	4 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	6071889
                                Good catch, Artie.

i see that it also suffers from an incorrect cap value of 0.047uF being listed. As you and I have discussed previously in another thread, Seymour Duncan later revised the wiring instructions sheet that is included with Blackouts preamps to specify a cap value of 0.47uf instead , as smaller cap values led to the tone pot having no audible effect.

Ref:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...39#post6028139
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-08-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X