X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Good catch, Artie.

i see that it also suffers from an incorrect cap value of 0.047uF being listed. As you and I have discussed previously in another thread, Seymour Duncan later revised the wiring instructions sheet that is included with Blackouts preamps to specify a cap value of 0.47uf instead , as smaller cap values led to the tone pot having no audible effect.

Ref:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...39#post6028139
    Thanks for that info Jack. The instructions that came with my BMP shows .47 uf, but the actual caps included in the pack are .047 uf. Weird.

Comment

You guys are good. I'm extremely glad I joined this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        There appears to be a number of drawings on the site like these two:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...H_5W_1V_1T.jpg
        https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...H_5W_1V_1T.jpg

When I look at them, I would expect them to never produce sound.
        The HSH diagram that BeauBrummels mentioned above, has 2 other errors besides how the 5 way switch's output is wired (covered in an earlier reply in this thread.

That diagram is intended to split the neck and bridge at the same time using the push-pull switch but it has an error in that regard. The Red & White wires from the neck pickup are supposed to connect to the rightside middle lug of the push-pull switch, not run to Ground like the diagram shows.

The diagram has an additional error: it is missing the Green and Bare wires for the neck pickup. Those 2 wires should be wired to Ground (the back of a pot) just like you see the Bridge humbucker's Green and Bare wires routed.

Pic of the diagram attached.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_102680.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	6093465
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Greetings~ I posted this a few weeks ago, correct in my findings that the neck pup was missing the red/white leads, and I'm not certain if it was corrected online... thnx Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210712-225027_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	6095709

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
            Greetings~ I posted this a few weeks ago, correct in my findings that the neck pup was missing the red/white leads, and I'm not certain if it was corrected online... thnx Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20210712-225027_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	6095709
            I just checked and it has not yet been corrected in the Wiring Diagram Wizard on the site. For the neck pickup, it actually has 2 issues. 1) It shows the red/white leads connected where the green/bare leads should connect and 2) the green/bare leads are missing.

If someone needs this before it has been corrected in the Wiring Diagram Wizard, they can reference where ArtieToo corrected it in your Topic:

hi all~ Will this diagram split my neck SM-3 as well? I tend to think not as the neck pup isn't showing the same # of wires as the bridge.... Any appropriate schem out there? My push/pull is on the tone pot... Many thnx~ p.s. it's still there:11:

...assuming they find their way here to follow the link.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Just to be clear, as far as I know, none of the diagrams reported in this thread have been corrected. This thread should be a place to check if you download a diagram that isn't working. There are quite a few missing grounds, wrong switch assignments, etc on several Duncan diagrams.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

zoezoe and JamesPaul,

Please try to remember to first review wha'ts already posted in the thread, to see if your concern is already covered.

In this particular case, i posted the 3 different issues with that diagram and the fixes for each over a week ago in Reply # 63.

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                Greetings~ I posted this a few weeks ago, correct in my findings that the neck pup was missing the red/white leads, and I'm not certain if it was corrected online... thnx
                Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I just checked and it has not yet been corrected in the Wiring Diagram Wizard on the site. For the neck pickup, it actually has 2 issues. 1) It shows the red/white leads connected where the green/bare leads should connect and 2) the green/bare leads are missing.

If someone needs this before it has been corrected in the Wiring Diagram Wizard, they can reference where ArtieToo corrected it in your Topic:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...81#post6093481

...assuming they find their way here to follow the link.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Re: Is there a problem with this diagram?

EDIT #2: In addition to GuitarDoc's feedback, I also just got confirmation from someone who wired their guitar with this diagram that they have no noise issue like I was concerned about in the Rails Only switch position.

Looks like the unterminated Finish wire (white) of the P90 in this position does not in fact emit noise like I suspected it would because apparently no signal flows through the P90 coil at all even though its Start wire (black) is connected to Hot. Apparently the P90 coil is bypassed by Hot signal entirely because there is a route to Ground available through the Rail coil.

So these two diagrams have been verified as NOT having any issues. (ref. Reply #11 and Reply #12 of this thread: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4409894)

Thanks for reviewing it GuitarDoc!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104331[/ATTACH]
                  After more consideration and some recent posts by Artie where he himself has stated that a ungrounded coil that receives Hot signal is a potential source of RF noise because it is acting as an antenna, I change my conclusion about this diagram back to my original position. In the mode that yields the Rail coil only, the Black wire is connected to Hot signal and the White wire of that P90 coil is unterminated, so that coil can act as an antennae for noise. In low noise rooms/ environments, the issue may not occur.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-29-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

BeauBrummels is correct, no sound would be produced in either of those.

I added a Red wire that would replace the current, errant Black wire that comes off the volume pot and goes to the 5 way switch.
                    I was just looking at this diagram on the main SD site and was like, WTF? That's not right. Glad it's been mentioned here already.

I don't know who is in charge of these diagrams but the fact that many have been pointed out as having errors and they appear to have NOT been corrected is concerning. Updating these things can be done from home with a computer and internet connection. This kind of work does not require being in an office. I'm really floored that these things have not been addressed yet regardless of the pandemic (again, work from home).

Comment

All I can do is pass it up, which I have done. I suggested a long term goal of looking at (and correcting) the entire database. I don't know if that is going to happen, so people on this forum at least have this thread.

Comment

Noob question, are the black dots the lead wire (soldered) connections? And on the second pic where I have the red arrow pointed to the potentiometer, is that where I want to solder the bridge ground wire, or is that wire just 'hanging out' ?

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by gdboss View Post
                          Noob question, are the black dots the lead wire (soldered) connections? And on the second pic where I have the red arrow pointed to the potentiometer, is that where I want to solder the bridge ground wire, or is that wire just 'hanging out' ?

Thanks for the feedback!
                          The dots are soldered connections. Solder the bridge ground wire to the back of the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

I was just looking at this diagram on the main SD site and was like, WTF? That's not right. Glad it's been mentioned here already.

I don't know who is in charge of these diagrams but the fact that many have been pointed out as having errors and they appear to have NOT been corrected is concerning. Updating these things can be done from home with a computer and internet connection. This kind of work does not require being in an office. I'm really floored that these things have not been addressed yet regardless of the pandemic (again, work from home).
                            I think the problem is the current revisions were done by a graphic designer to make them look better, but they don't have enough knowledge of electronics to proofread their work and spot a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The dots are soldered connections. Solder the bridge ground wire to the back of the pot.
                              Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I think the problem is the current revisions were done by a graphic designer to make them look better, but they don't have enough knowledge of electronics to proofread their work and spot a problem.
                                I don't want to be offending anyone, but if this was done by a graphic designer, I hope it was an intern, learning as they went... I mean, I know electronic configurations can get tricky, but you could magnify the area, or blow out a portion of the image, don't use silly font/typography, etc. It's fine I guess, but I'm watching the pickup installation course and I still have trouble following along with the wiring diagrams currently available.

Comment

Working...
                                X