The Hunter Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hunter Review

Lockdown has given me some time to try some pickups I had kicking around. I originally bought the Hunter for another build, but ending up selling that guitar and so the Hunter sat.

I have a PRS core Holcomb model that I had been having trouble getting to sound and respond the way I wanted. It has a really big low end and top end, so it can either get too woofy or shrill. Really did not dig the Holcomb bridge model in there at all. I also tried the Custom Custom, a Custom shop 14k A2 humbucker, BK Aftermath, Duncan Distortion and a JB. Surprisingly had the best results with the Distortion and JB. So....why not try its relative, the Hunter?!

Well, it SMOKES in this guitar: tight, chunky and percussive low end and aggressive upper mids with a top end that is not shrill at all (although plenty bright). To my ears, it kinda combines some great tonal aspects of the JB and Distortion: more upper mid content like a JB and that tight and angry Distortion chunk. Although dubbed an "underwound Distortion", that is an over simplification. I have tried JB's and Distortion's with all sorts of magnets and while the Hunter has similarities to both pickups, it is still its own thing. Also, if it has less output than a Distortion, it cannot be by much; it is absolutely a high output beast and those angry upper mids really make it growl and cut through! Really digging this bad boy, so of you like the Distortion, but want a different flavor, give it consideration.

Re: The Hunter Review

Saw Lynch talking about it. He said it was basically a modded Distortion per his early Dokken years. Also the pup in the new Green Kami's I believe. Matches the description you just gave.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Saw Lynch talking about it. He said it was basically a modded Distortion per his early Dokken years. Also the pup in the new Green Kami's I believe. Matches the description you just gave.
      It is a cool pickup, but I don't drink the coolaid and buy siggy pickups believing it is the magic formula to a specific tone. We quickly forget that 99% of those iconic tones were done with stock pickups or "regular" Duncans and Dimarzios and often through whatever amp/guitar combo they could afford/had on hand/would stay in tune. That said, the Hunter is a very cool pickup and I am certainly glad I grabbed one. I still love the OG Duncan and Dimarzios like the JB, Custom and Distortion and Super Distortion; timeless designs that just have awesome character and work in a variety of guitars and styles.

Comment

Cool post, thanks

Made me put on Dokken's Under Lock And Key. <3

Comment

Working...
        X