Fender re issue Wide range H/B with CuNife magenets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender re issue Wide range H/B with CuNife magenets

Recently Fender have introduced the Original series guitar & bass models, one being the '72 Tele custom. It states the neck humbucker uses CuNife pole magnets for the first time in 4 decades, with a strength similar to Alnico 3. . I thought CuNife was no longer available ? and too costly to manufacture..

Re: Fender re issue Wide range H/B with CuNife magenets

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
    Recently Fender have introduced the Original series guitar & bass models, one being the '72 Tele custom. It states the neck humbucker uses CuNife pole magnets for the first time in 4 decades, with a strength similar to Alnico 3. . I thought CuNife was no longer available ? and too costly to manufacture..
    A few boutique manufacturers still use them in their WR pickups.

Comment

These were always strange pickups to me. I get the nostalgia thing, but there were always just too bright for me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve seen at least one boutique maker still use them, but threaded alnico will do just about the same thing, I wouldn’t bother.

I’m sure fender has the buying power to get it made for cheap though, maybe it will trickle into some of the cheaper models, it’d be nice to see rather than the junk they are putting under the WR covers.

Comment

I have a WR bucker set by Mojo and it's about as historically correct as can be. However, they're mighty bright and so, so weak. It is almost funny. Never again.

Comment

I have a Fender WR in my Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom - I love it. Really nice neck pup. Tele is such a limited range the body deliver, and seems to benefit from that.

The Duncan design in bridge, not all sure about that one though. But having 4 knobs Gibson style, one can blend in middle position.

Comment

Fender re issue Wide range H/B with CuNife magenets

I had experience with the prior set of WR Humbuckers they put in the AVRI Tele Custom and Thinline and they were ok. They were not to original spec so I don't think that experience would match.

FWIW I upgraded to Lollars and LOVE them because they retain a little of the Tele sound and are pretty full sounding. But they are pricey!
              Last edited by brunogio; 04-15-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Yay.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                  I’ve seen at least one boutique maker still use them, but threaded alnico will do just about the same thing, I wouldn’t bother.

I’m sure fender has the buying power to get it made for cheap though, maybe it will trickle into some of the cheaper models, it’d be nice to see rather than the junk they are putting under the WR covers.
                  Back in the day they sounded good overdriven ..but as you say, alnico can sound good too. the new Original series models are at the higher price range...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    These were always strange pickups to me. I get the nostalgia thing, but there were always just too bright for me.
                    They sounded good overdriven through a Marshall or Fender amp...I've heard them. But that's all subjective. I've seen people asking over for $400 for old originals. Too much...

Comment

^And the rest......more like $500-$600 now. Even T tops that are common are $400 these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X