banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I MADE THE SWAP: What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I MADE THE SWAP: What do you guys think?

Originally posted by robo View Post
    That's wierd! I don't really think of myself as having a lot of guitars, but when you list them all like this… plus I also have a 1987 Fender Stratocaster. And a couple of acoustics. And a Resonator.
    Same here. It just got out of hand at some point...

Comment

For what it's worth, in my experience you can open up the little humbuckers all the way and they sound good or better. They don't need any load from the controls to sound good since they are pretty compressed.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

if they guy is a little treble shy and is rolling off the tone with 250k pots, i dont think unloading the pups is going in the right direction for him

Comment

I bought them for you

Comment

I wasn't telling him what to do, I was just saying that if he wanted to up his pots, it sounds good. 500k or 1meg with no tone doesn't mess up the little hums cuz they're so compressed. Just as full but more highs. If he wanted to get more bite in the bridge like the jd had he could do for example, 500k volume, 250k no load tone and then stick a resistor on the neck if it's a true single coil.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              I wasn't telling him what to do, I was just saying that if he wanted to up his pots, it sounds good. 500k or 1meg with no tone doesn't mess up the little hums cuz they're so compressed. Just as full but more highs. If he wanted to get more bite in the bridge like the jd had he could do for example, 500k volume, 250k no load tone and then stick a resistor on the neck if it's a true single coil.
              I just love how engaged everybody is on this forum! Thank you for your input. But like Jeremy stated above; in my ears more treble is never an issue in a tele bridge. I didn't mean that the 59 lacked treble. I ment that the JD has an amont of dingly overtones that the 59 lacks. And the JD got these overtones even when riding low on the tone knob. So it's not really a more/less treble kind of thing. It has to do with singlecoil vs humbuckers and medium output vs high output. And probably a few other things. If I turn the tone full up on the 59 it gets sharp and shrill – ice pick style. But it does not gain those desired overtones and dingliness of the JD.

I love the telecaster and play it almost exclusively. But I come from Les Paul territory. And have been a LP player for about 20 years of my 35 years as a guitar player. 10 years wasted on a Strat I never really liked and since five years now I'm with the Telecasters. It was like coming home. But the thing for me with Telecasters are these two realisations:
              1. You always have to ride the bridge pickup really low on the tone knob to get a guitar tone that fits my playing and ears.
              2. You always have to ride the neck pickup all the way up on the tone knob to get a guitar tone that fits my playing and ears.
              But there's only one tone knob! This makes switching pickups on the fly a real hassle.

So I do the Anti-Mud wiring on my telecasters. The neck pickup goes straight to jack from the volume. Full on treble tone always. And the bridge pickup get's the tone control all alone. Best hack on a tele I've found. Plus I have a treble bleed mod. So I don't loose the highs when rolling of the volume knob (I do that a lot).

Comment

Right on man.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by robo View Post
                  That's wierd! I don't really think of myself as having a lot of guitars, but when you list them all like this… plus I also have a 1987 Fender Stratocaster. And a couple of acoustics. And a Resonator.
                  8 guitars, total? "A lot"?

No, not "a lot". Let's just call it "a few".

I just barely began to think of myself as having a lot of guitars because I'm in the process of moving and have had to pack them all up. Up until this, I just though that I have a "good variety" of guitars.
                  (Oh, yeah, I'm not totally sure how many I actually have...I keep losing count. But it is somewhere between 50 and 60. Probably closer to 60).
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i like taking the tone off the neck pup when in the situation youre describing. its easy to do and makes things a lot easier if you want a more open high end from the neck but wanna be able to dial down the treble on the bridge

Comment

Working...
                    X