Pickup thoughts for custom build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup thoughts for custom build

With all this pandemic nonsense, there is more time after work to plan out my custom build with an Ontario guy, West Edge Guitars.

I've got all the specs worked out but what I'm unsure about is the pickups. It's going to be a multi-lam neck through (wenge with purple heart, maple and black and white ebony), black limba body, Buckeye Burl maple top, ziricote or snakewood board and 24 Evo frets. String through body on a Schaller Hannes bridge with piezo. 25.5" scale, 14" radius, master volume and tone, and a 5-way switch.

I used to favour hot humbuckers like JB, JB/Custom8 hybrid, Crunch Lab, pickups that are thick and full. But thinking for this as my first custom I want to dial it back and go medium output. My plan is bridge humbucker and SC-size neck, whether that's a true single or rails, I'm not sure yet. Loved the Fast Track 1 I had in a Kramer Focus 3000 and I think I'd like to have single coil tone up there without the hum.

Most of what I am going for is diverse prog sounds that can get heavy like Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Flower Kings, Anciients, Agent Fresco, Disperse, Tool... None of these bands have it but I don't like the nasally modern heavy modelled sound. We also do a variety of classic and older rock tunes with cover gigs so I like to roll back and clean up. All of this is through a Mesa Mark IV.

The builder recommended the DiMarzio IGNO bridge and Sugar Chakra in the neck - I know Polyphia and Def Leppard very well but no idea how these would sound for my rig and playing.

Curious for the forum bros thoughts on what else might be a good combo to span the heavy stuff, be able to go light, and give me a tight but not too bright sound.

Lay it on me!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Pickup thoughts for custom build

The set that comes to mind right away is a very diverse one, a Black Winter in the neck, and a Pegasus for the bridge. Don't go by the descriptions...they are good at a whole bunch of stuff. Both are modern & complex and don't compress nearly to the amount as a pickup like the JB or Invader.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was thinking maybe a Quarter Pound single for the neck and a 59/Custom in the bridge. With a five way super switch.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the Black Winter as a very versatile thing, though it might not fit in OPs idea of a single coil. Still, it's worth a listen, you can always have a pushpull to split. Also, the Imperiums are super awesome medium output pups and they are made as a 6 string set too.

Comment

Start with what you know, Fast Track 1. For the bridge, I recommend Air Zone.
          Last edited by elelpe; 04-18-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

For the neck then, go for the Cool Rails or a Classic Stack. Both are clean and clear, but the CR is a clear humbucker, while the Classic Stack is about the most ideal single coil sound, ever (with slightly more power).

Comment

Quarter Pound for the neck and DiMarzio Norton for bridge. Or DiMarzio Breed in the bridge if you want a little warmer.

Comment

Interesting suggestions so far, thanks guys,

@Mincer I know Pegasus is aimed at prog rock players, what are your impressions of its overall profile aside from what's on the site? How does it clean up?

@elelpe Air Zone a few years ago this was in the bridge of my Schecter C-1 Classic which is also neck thru, and in a Kramer Focus. Maybe it was my taste at the time but I remember it being too warm, seemed to lack that extra cut in the upper mids. The FT1 is great though.

Heard tons of good things here and the 59/C Hybrid. Would QP or Classic Stack have output to match that or even Pegasus?

Last edited by Metalman_666; 04-18-2020, 11:16 PM.
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

Well, the Pegasus isn't crazy high output so it cleans up well. It doesn't slam the input of an amp like a JB, and the EQ, to me, is more pleasant. So I think it would do well if it wasn't just marketed to high gain players. It is a lot like the 59/Custom Hybrid, to me...similar EQ and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Well, the Pegasus isn't crazy high output so it cleans up well. It doesn't slam the input of an amp like a JB, and the EQ, to me, is more pleasant. So I think it would do well if it wasn't just marketed to high gain players. It is a lot like the 59/Custom Hybrid, to me...similar EQ and power.
                    Good to know, I've definitely enjoyed the JB and JB/C8 I already know that pickup feels, sounds like it's going to be a Pegasus for me!

I did a bunch of reading about the Classic Stack Plus and I am leaning that way - since Duncan and DiMarzio have their own output meters online, I wonder how much power the STK-S4 neck model might have compared to the Fast Track 1 which I've spent a lot of time with,

In terms of wiring, I will have a separate toggle for the piezo, but for the magnetics I'm debating a 5-way superswitch setup like this:
                    1 neck pickup
                    2 neck and screw coil in series
                    3 neck and slug coil in series
                    4 neck and slug coil in parallel
                    5 bridge humbucker full

Or a 3-way toggle with a push/push split for the bridge, keeping it simpler. In either case, PTB tone controls since I love that setup on my G&L Comanche,

Would love to hear more thoughts on some versatile wiring I could use,

• G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                      Good to know, I've definitely enjoyed the JB and JB/C8 I already know that pickup feels, sounds like it's going to be a Pegasus for me!

I did a bunch of reading about the Classic Stack Plus and I am leaning that way - since Duncan and DiMarzio have their own output meters online, I wonder how much power the STK-S4 neck model might have compared to the Fast Track 1 which I've spent a lot of time with,

In terms of wiring, I will have a separate toggle for the piezo, but for the magnetics I'm debating a 5-way superswitch setup like this:
                      1 neck pickup
                      2 neck and screw coil in series
                      3 neck and slug coil in series
                      4 neck and slug coil in parallel
                      5 bridge humbucker full

Or a 3-way toggle with a push/push split for the bridge, keeping it simpler. In either case, PTB tone controls since I love that setup on my G&L Comanche,

Would love to hear more thoughts on some versatile wiring I could use,

Dude - try a freeway switch!

Amazing 6 & 10 position dual-bank pickup selectors for electric guitars. Unrivalled tonal flexibility with fast intuitive operation! The official home of Free-Way.

I have these in (almost) all of my guitars (8 out of my 10 electrics). They are fantastic, and open up all kinds of options!

BTW, I also do PTB tone controls on a lot of my guitars. As I'm sure you know, the bass cut feature is actually incredibly useful, even if it isn't always as obvious as a treble cut. Above, you said you wanted to have a master volume and a master tone. If you want to have a PTB type system with only one knob, you can modify the Fender TBX tone control to do it. I have this mod on 3 of my guitars, and its great. Here's a youtube how-to vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ2C9LQOU8s&t=147s

Hit me up if you wanna talk shop – I mod like there's no tomorrow, and I've got time right now, too
                      Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                      Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                      Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                      Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                      Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                      Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                      Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                      Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                      Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                      PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                        Dude - try a freeway switch!

Amazing 6 & 10 position dual-bank pickup selectors for electric guitars. Unrivalled tonal flexibility with fast intuitive operation! The official home of Free-Way.

I have these in (almost) all of my guitars (8 out of my 10 electrics). They are fantastic, and open up all kinds of options!

BTW, I also do PTB tone controls on a lot of my guitars. As I'm sure you know, the bass cut feature is actually incredibly useful, even if it isn't always as obvious as a treble cut. Above, you said you wanted to have a master volume and a master tone. If you want to have a PTB type system with only one knob, you can modify the Fender TBX tone control to do it. I have this mod on 3 of my guitars, and its great. Here's a youtube how-to vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ2C9LQOU8s&t=147s

Hit me up if you wanna talk shop – I mod like there's no tomorrow, and I've got time right now, too
                        Took a look at the Freeway Switch and holy crap, looks incredible! My mind was blown, literally watching the video with my mouth open, and it's a day after 420. I can imagine myself getting into a performance and knocking the switch to the wrong "lane" by accident, but the beauty of a custom build is I can move it out of the way. Like for example bridge humbucker full on is position 3 on the toggle, but then if I wanted position 5 say, it seems like it would be an awkward diagonal movement you'd have to get just right. How easy do you find it is to get right where you need to go?

I like the idea of having separate knobs for treble and bass like on the G&L. What I've done in the past is max the treble and roll off the bass a tad for one song, and then max the bass and cut the treble. The TBX mod also looks good though so I'll have to mull that one over.

Definitely will hit you up as I'm curious for more info on the Freeway switch and whether I'll need a separate switch for piezo, thanks for these nuggets,
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Working...
                        X