And Now for a New Tele Pickup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Now for a New Tele Pickup Question

So, I'm "reformatting" my 2019 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster. It's and alder body maple neck, pau ferro fretboard with a heavy stainless steel bridge with six saddles; like the old American Standards. Stock, they come with a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups; a Tele set and a Vintage Noiseless Strat pickup in the middle.

I am "reformatting" it. Removing the bridge and replacing it with a Wilkinson ashtray assembly with compensated brass saddles; as well as removing the pickups. I have another T-style for them. I want to make this one a 2-pickup Telecaster. I installed a set of Fender Tex Mex Tele pickups and they don't sound all that great. My Baja Tele (ash body and maple neck) sounded great with the Tex Mex's when I tried them in that guitar. That guitar now has a JD/APS-1 combo with the Jerry Donahue wiring.

I don't want another JD. The Tex Mex's, in the Nashville are a little thin. I attribute that to the the pau ferro fretboard and bridge assembly. So, I need a new pickup set that are loud, proud, meaty, and still twangy. I was thinking about the La Brea set. BTW, here's a before and after of my Nashville Telecaster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WRHCE7792.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5853801

Name:	New-Daphne.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	5853802
    -Butch

Re: And Now for a New Tele Pickup Question

How about putting Tex Mex back to Baja and JD/APS to Nashville?

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
      How about putting Tex Mex back to Baja and JD/APS to Nashville?
      As I said before, the Tex Mex's did sound great in that Baja. I do have an Alnico 2 Pro Tele neck pickup on its way to me. I could put the Tex Mex bridge and Tex Mex Strat pickup in the Baja and keep the JD wiring; then install the APTL-3JD/APTR-1 combo in the Nashville. Anyone else?
      -Butch

Comment

Ok, the Baja with Jerry Donahue wiring will remain as it is; with the APTL–3JD/APS-1. I actually have an APTR-1 coming. I’m thinking of pairing it with an APTL-1 in the bridge. I know that kind of goes away from the big, meaty, loud Tele bridge pick up, but it might be the best sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Butch

Comment

La Brea with a Five Two in the middle? It doesn't have the power of the JD, but it might just be the best sounding Nashville Tele ever.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the la brea sounds awesome from what ive seen and looks great on paper but havent heard one in person

Comment

And Now for a New Tele Pickup Question

I just ordered a set and of Alnico 2 Pro’s for Telecaster. We’ll see how they do. If I don’t like them, I’ll think about the La Brea’s.

-Butch

Comment

The Alnico 2s are nice pickups. Not as snappy as other Tele pickups, which I kinda like.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  The Alnico 2s are nice pickups. Not as snappy as other Tele pickups, which I kinda like.
                  With this bridge and fretboard, snap is there.

-Butch

Comment

Okay, I put the Vintage Noiseless pickups back in the Nashville; along with the stainless bridge. It is, once again, a Nashville Tele. I have decided to assemble a Telecaster. Saw this video and was awestruck. I want to make a thinline and put my Wilksinson bridge assembly, along with the Alnico 2 Pro set in it. Here's a pic. I won't do the steel saddle though.

Name:	SuperNice Thinline1.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	5818865
                    -Butch

Comment

Butch,
                      Whatever you end up putting in it, I am confident that your playing ability and technique will make it sound awesome.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Butch,
                        Whatever you end up putting in it, I am confident that your playing ability and technique will make it sound awesome.
                        Nicest thing anyone has said to me all day; thanks! Check out this thread.

NGD for me...
                        -Butch

Comment

Working...
                        X