Q about lollar imperials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about lollar imperials

so on their website, the high wind bridge imperial is listed with a 9.4k output while the f-spaced version high wind of the imperial is ~12k...

is that a typo, or does anyone know why the F-spaced woud have such a higher output?

I know that DCR is not the end-all be-all for measuring output, I just see a lot of weird things on DCR reading that don't seem to match up....for example, SD calling the Perpetual Burn and SH-5 a medium output pickup and the JB antiquity being a vintage output one with a 16k DCr..
    Last edited by greg.delta; 04-19-2020, 08:04 AM.

Re: Q about lollar imperials

Regarding DCR, it’s directly related to the wire gauge used and length of wire on the bobbin. Generally, more wire will result in higher output, so that’s why you can estimate that with two similar pickups with the same gauge and construction, the higher DCR will be higher output. Think of a neck/bridge 59.

When you change the gauge, you can kind of throw that out the window. Smaller gauge will get you more turns on the bobbin, smaller gauge = higher resistance and longer length (more turns) = higher resistance, but if you have less copper on the bobbin, you’ll get less output. Not to mention magnet, construction, wind pattern, etc.

All that being said... on the Lollars, maybe something had to change to get f-spaced bobbins? It does seem strange. On the others in the second part of your post, it’s the other differences that are all playing together.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think it's likely a typo. F-spaced is typically a bit higher, but not 25%.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Definitely an error IMHO.

Comment

43 awg??
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            43 awg??
            Doubtful- the Imperials are Jason's take on the classic PAF type.
            I think it's more likely the DCR of a different model was quoted mistakenly.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
            X