Spraque Vitamin Q vs Bumblebee. Any difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraque Vitamin Q vs Bumblebee. Any difference

I am working on a DIY Les Paul Copy with some Parsons Street PAF spec reissues from Steward Macdonald. I want to be close to vintage spec.

What is (If any) differences between the Vitamin Qs and Bumblebee Paper in Oil Caps

I believe they are similar enough, but I would like some input from others who may know more than I do.
    TOO LOUD ONLY APPLIES TO CRAPPY BANDS!

Re: Spraque Vitamin Q vs Bumblebee. Any difference

oh here we go again... the value of the cap matters much more than the type. most people wont notice a difference between a ceramic disk, orange drop, or pio cap even in the studio. others will be along shortly to tell you im wrong

Comment

The biggest difference is the price.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I definitely agree with the above – its the capacitance of the capacitor, not the material that is creating the capacitance, that matters.

If you want to make everything perfectly vintage spec because that's part of your hobby and doing so interests you, then go ahead. If you're concerned about your tone, rather than the "accuracy" of your specs, then don't worry about the material

There are probably others here who know more physics than I do who can explain the details (I have a bachelor's in it, but my grad degrees are in other stuff), but I would bet that if they exist, the audible tonal differences between materials would hardly be noticeable, would wash out when you factor in the tolerances for each type of capacitor anyway, and / or would be primarily psychological.

I bought one of these big ol' boxes of caps from Amazon a while ago, and it has opened up many different tonal options by letting me explore various values for both treble and bass cutting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm in no way affiliated with the above, and there are probably tons of other boxes 'o caps that you an buy with values that are roughly where you want your guitars caps

MC
        Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
        Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
        Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
        Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
        Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
        Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
        Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
        Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
        Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
        PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I doubt there'd even be a single difference even an oscilloscope could pick out between one PIO and another.
          There certainly is a slight measurable 'scope graphed difference between some caps of differing construction.....but even then its something that generally would fall into the 'most likely not audible' category - unless all the stars aligned in your setup.

If you really want PIO, the K40Y-9 russian ones are cheap and plentiful.
          Lets face it.....the Parsons St pickups are not very vintage spec anyhow. If you were putting in Wizz vintage wire PAF clones or Throbaks - that actually do dot 'I's' and cross "T's in their construction, then maybe the caps might be worth making more vintage accurate visually.

Comment

Value is all that matters in a guitar tone circuit as far as sound is concerned. If you're into capacitor aesthetics, all bets are off though.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I cannot hear a difference between 2 caps of the same value. At all.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

"Vintage spec" is +/- 20- percent of what the marked capacitance was. Just spend $2.00 on a 10 pack of cheap 20 percent tolerance ceramic disc caps of the originally marked value, pick one at random, and you'll be doing what Gibson electronics techs were doing back then. It's how you play the thing that will make it have "that tone," not some nearly insignificant part that nobody can see. You're not building a fake, so what does it matter?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

if you're getting parts from StewMac check these out

My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Be sure to install a clear plastic wiring cavity cover so you can see the difference.

Comment

there was once a blog
                      where someone opened a bumblebee and it was a ceramic inside
                      or mylar
                      I can't remember its been a while
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Value is all that matters in a guitar tone circuit as far as sound is concerned. If you're into capacitor aesthetics, all bets are off though.
                        That's like saying diameter of a guitar string is all that matters in the sound.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                          if you're getting parts from StewMac check these out

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...tard_Caps.html
                          I use these too. They inexpensive, neat and easy to work with.

EDIT: Actually no. Not these, Stewmac dropped a window on top of page, so I only saw the picture.

I meant these:

Last edited by Jacew; 04-20-2020, 07:07 AM.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I'm in the camp of saying that there is a small difference, even when a capacitance meter shows same value. I think it is rooted in the fact old style capacitors also have a slight inductance.

To my ears the small ceramic capacitors are in the middle, not one end, of capacitor type sound. They aren't worse in any way.
                            Last edited by uOpt; 04-20-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

When I tested this problem, the cheap ceramics were the only ones I could detect a difference. When measured, they never gave a solid reading. Don’t know if it was a failure to discharge consistently or some kind of leak internally? When listened to, the note definition was murky when the tone was rolled off. Other caps sounded dark but the notes were clear, eg when playing chords.

Comment

Working...
                              X