Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parralell / split question

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the spin-a-split info, guys.

You'd still want to use a logarithmic-taper pot for this, right? Because it's basically just a volume control for one of the coils?
    Frankly, to me it doesn't matter. The Sweet spot for spin a split falls in a very small range, so I usually dial it in and leave it there. One thing to note is my spinach splits are by passable and often I will measure the spin a split value and replace the spin a split with a resistor bundle of the same value and switch it in and out.

And yes between the noise reduction and tone, we do a lot more parallels and partials than we do full splits.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
      Wow, thanks for the spin-a-split info, guys.

You'd still want to use a logarithmic-taper pot for this, right? Because it's basically just a volume control for one of the coils?
      Splits appear to react to the absolute amount of resistance rather than the proportion of the sweep like a volume. 10k will split it the same amount regardless of what the value is at full. For this reason, you have to use a small value pot to get any kind of taper. I've tried everything and found that a 50k no loaded pot works best.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 04-24-2020, 04:48 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Splits appear to react to the absolute amount of resistance rather than the proportion of the sweep like a volume. 10k will split it the same amount regardless of what the value is at full. For this reason, you have to use a small value pot to get any kind of taper. I've tried everything and found that a 50k no loaded pot works best.
        Also, heed the "no load" part

I did a spin-a-split mod on some of my humbuckers without a low-resistance pot (probably around the 50k that Clint suggested), and it sounded MUDDY as all hell because of all the treble that grounded out
        Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
        Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
        Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
        Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
        Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
        Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
        Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
        Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
        Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
        PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Yeah if you don't no load it, the humbucker will never be full series. You'll lose the gainy sound of the full hum in series because it will always be partially split.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
          X