Screw won't screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw won't screw

I bought a humbucker set. I'm just starting a quick assemble on to the scratch plate but I just can't get one of the screws in (to the pickup bracket, not in to the scratch plate).

Three out of four are fine, but the last screw-hole seems to be knackered. I've tried two different screws, but neither will go in to this damn hole (but both go in to the other hole).

What can I do?!
    Last edited by jpjeffery; 04-21-2020, 01:11 PM.

Re: Screw won't screw

If it’s new, return it. If it’s used, was it drilled for direct mount or something? Are you using fender screws in a Gibson type pickup baseplate, or vice versa? What does “won’t go in” mean - it won’t thread? Or the hole is actually the wrong size? What is the pickup set?

Comment

How handy are you? With Duncan being shut down, you might be waiting awhile for a replacement. If you had a tap set you could clean out the threads. But without one, first try putting the screw in from underneath. It’s possible it gets started nicely, and doesn’t take much to get the threads cleaned out.

If not, I also have taken a dremel or a file and cut a slight V groove into the bottom of the screw, to essentially make it a self-tapping screw. If you have a spare screw use it as a sacrifice but honestly the screw will work fine since you usually thread it way past the end.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        If it’s new, return it.
        Yes, it's new. Just trying to avoid the hassle of a return.

Are you using fender screws in a Gibson type pickup baseplate, or vice versa?
        I'm using the screws (bolts, really) supplied with the pickups.

What does “won’t go in” mean - it won’t thread?
        It won't take the thread (I'm not convinced there's much thread to take in that particular bolt hole)

What is the pickup set?
        Vintage Blues Set, so an SH-1B and an SH-1N, and it's the latter that I'm having trouble with, All four screws in the set go in to the other bolt hole, but not the hole I'm having trouble with.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          How handy are you? With Duncan being shut down, you might be waiting awhile for a replacement.
          I ordered it from a UK retailer, so at least any return/replace would be with them rather than directly with SD.

If you had a tap set you could clean out the threads. But without one, first try putting the screw in from underneath. It’s possible it gets started nicely, and doesn’t take much to get the threads cleaned out.
          I had thought of that. Can't get any of the bolts in that way either. :-(

If not, I also have taken a dremel or a file and cut a slight V groove into the bottom of the screw, to essentially make it a self-tapping screw. If you have a spare screw use it as a sacrifice but honestly the screw will work fine since you usually thread it way past the end.
          No identical spares here. I've tried opening up the top of the hole a little with a drill bit but no luck there so far. I'll consider the V groove idea (trying to get my head around it) but it's a very slim bolt. I also thought about creating a tape on the tip of the bolt, to make it look more like a screw.

Comment

So just to be clear, you have tried all screws in the hole without any pressure from springs etc and you can't get the thread started.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              So just to be clear, you have tried all screws in the hole without any pressure from springs etc and you can't get the thread started.
              That is correct.

Comment

it should be a 3 mm

hardware store should have the tap for less than $5 (whatever the British exchange is)

someone there will probably help you straighten threads out

take the screws and the pickup into the store

show em the screw
                tell them you think its 3mm

they can check it
                and help you correct the thread

at least here in the States they will

don't be too proud
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  it should be a 3 mm

hardware store should have the tap for less than $5 (whatever the British exchange is)

someone there will probably help you straighten threads out

take the screws and the pickup into the store

show em the screw
                  tell them you think its 3mm

they can check it
                  and help you correct the thread

at least here in the States they will

don't be too proud
                  It's a fine idea, except that we're in lockdown here so I can't get out.

Comment

Originally posted by jpjeffery View Post
                    That is correct.
                    Thats a bummer.
                    Reading between the lines I think the thread might not have been tapped in any way....you typically find screwing in will work from one of 2 directions if there is a little slag leftover from the cutting process.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      Thats a bummer.
                      Reading between the lines I think the thread might not have been tapped in any way...
                      Some close up photos have revealed that to be the case. The set is going back to be replaced.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200422_180617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5818884

Name:	20200422_180727.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	5818885

In contrast to the good side...