P90 STK magnet swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 STK magnet swap?

Short Backstory as to what and why, the question will be posted in a separate paragraph below.

So I have an SG with P90s, and love the sound but want more. I want a set of Stack p90s that in parallel, can do funk/Blues -> Classic Rock/Heavy Metal, but in series can do Hard Rock -> Doom/Thrash Metal. I would get a custom wind (when they reopen), but my distortion doesn't like high output humbuckers (but works great with my WLH equipped LP with a slight clean boost before it). For this reason, I've decided to do a magnet swap.

So now for the question: What magnets should I go for to get a more aggressive bridge pickup and a "Angelic" neck pickup? I was thinking an A8/A5 (or UOA5) combo for the bridge and a A5/A2 (or double UOA5) in the neck. I do like my bridge tones to be mid heavy, and my neck to be slightly scooped, but it isn't a requirement if there's a better choice.

Side Question: Can I put an aftermarket cover on the stacks, or do I require one made for the larger size?

Re: P90 STK magnet swap?

So you've got regular P-90s now and you want to go with stacks?
    With custom winds?
    Why?!
    Why do you want stacks?
    What do you want to achieve with the custom wind?
    You've got money burning a hole in your pocket and don't know what else to do with it?
    Just change the magnets in the pups you already have and you will have a better sounding setup.

You could try A8/A8 or even try A8/A6 in the bridge (there's not a lot of difference changing just one of the A5s to an A8...some, but not huge).
    And try A5/A4 or A4/A4 in the neck for some really good clean tones.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sounds like a good scheme and like it would get you the tone you're after. A8/A6 is indeed middy.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I must ask that you read my first paragraph. I explain what I want to achieve with my pickups. My current P90s will be used in another guitar, but I want this guitar to do both the P90 and the Humbucker I need (hich the stacks accomplish)

Comment

I always forget about A6 �� so A8/A6 in the bridge does seem like a good combo.

I'm honestly surprised to see A4s come up, as I've always seen them described as "Sterile" (I've never played a pickup with A4s so I couldn't tell you my thoughts). Would an A4/A5 give me those crystalline clean tones I'm after? My A5/A5s already get there, but a touch of warmth is kinda needed as it sounds a little thin as it stands, which is why I though the UOA5s would be better.

Comment

A6 is still glossy but a little warmer. I have A5/A6 in my neck phat cat and it's lush but still bouncy and scooped. Has some low mids like A2 but has a bouncy response rather than a chewy response. I think either A2 or A6 would go well with A5 for you in the neck.
            I bought them for you

Comment

A4s are what was in a bunch of the PAFs that go for 5000 dollars. I guess they work OK.

Comment

A4 and ceramic are the 2 mags I won't use.
                I bought them for you

Comment

I'm trying to imagine what "Bouncy Response" sounds like. But I'll give it a shot. So it warms up the pickup similarly to an A2? With how you describe it, it sounds like it's more articulate too, is that true?

Comment

Right, A6 is like A5 in that it is articulate and has round bass. But the highs are slightly softer and it has low mids like A2 but it's not full pillowy like A2. It's the most lush oriented mag but it's not chewy cuz it's not unoriented.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Link8417 View Post
                      I must ask that you read my first paragraph. I explain what I want to achieve with my pickups. My current P90s will be used in another guitar, but I want this guitar to do both the P90 and the Humbucker I need (hich the stacks accomplish)
                      Well, good sir, maybe I did miss something, even though I read your entire post several times.
                      Maybe I'm a bit dense and didn't understand what you were saying.
                      Maybe it was very clear but I'm just stupid, this stuff is all pretty new to me (I've only been playing for a little over 60 years; been modding guitars for nearly 60 years; and I've only been building electric guitars for 20 years...actually, my first build of an acoustic guitar was 55 years ago).
                      Maybe I was just trying to be rude to you, someone I've never met who I don't know from Adam and who has not done anything to irritate me.....but wait, if that were the case why would I even bother to give you detailed answers to what seemed to be your primary questions?

Maybe YOU could read your first post again and in..."explain(ing) what (you) want to achieve with (your) pickups", point out to me where you mention anything about:
                      - putting your stock SG P-90s in another guitar and getting a new set of pups for your SG;
                      - what you want to accomplish with a custom wind that isn't available already in a production pup;
                      - why you want stacks, (other than just..."I want a set of Stack p90s");
                      - that you "need" a humbucker and/or why. (Your only mention of humbuckers was... "my distortion doesn't like high output humbuckers".

And please explain why any of the questions that I asked (and which specific ones) are not valid.

Now we get to your third paragraph where you finally ask "the question". Just to be fair, please point out in MY post where I did not answer any of YOUR questions (other than your "Side Question").

And, just out of curiosity, considering that I tried to give you a reasonable answer to your question as I understood it, and merely asked for some clarification of your objectives, why are you being so condescending to me?
                      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-24-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I made it very clear what I want, and why I want it. To get a custom wind with the above description would likely result in a higher output humbucker mode than I want.

As far as putting the old pickups in another guitar, why does it matter? I could throw them in the fireplace for all you care, they're not important. Same goes for why I want stacks, why does it matter? Why does what I do with the old pickups and the reason I want stacks change the answer to my question?

And I heavily imply why I *NEED* humbuckers with my description of what I want.

And those questions are not valid because, aside for the reasons above, you ended with "Is your money just burning a hole in your pocket?". You clearly are biased against my decision, so why should I care what you're opinions on my pickups are? I asked for advice, not opinions.

Now if you read past the comment I called you out on your BS, you'd see I did acknowledge your advice, because I'm not so immature that I completely discredit someone because of their tastes.

I must ask that you say your peace and leave this discussion, as I cannot help but think that you'll continue to judge me because I'd rather use stacks than regular P90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Link8417 View Post
                          I made it very clear what I want, and why I want it. To get a custom wind with the above description would likely result in a higher output humbucker mode than I want.

As far as putting the old pickups in another guitar, why does it matter? I could throw them in the fireplace for all you care, they're not important. Same goes for why I want stacks, why does it matter? Why does what I do with the old pickups and the reason I want stacks change the answer to my question?

And I heavily imply why I *NEED* humbuckers with my description of what I want.

And those questions are not valid because, aside for the reasons above, you ended with "Is your money just burning a hole in your pocket?". You clearly are biased against my decision, so why should I care what you're opinions on my pickups are? I asked for advice, not opinions.

Now if you read past the comment I called you out on your BS, you'd see I did acknowledge your advice, because I'm not so immature that I completely discredit someone because of their tastes.

I must ask that you say your peace and leave this discussion, as I cannot help but think that you'll continue to judge me because I'd rather use stacks than regular P90s.
                          Are you kidding me?!! Do you seriously believe all that you just said?!

Well, you obviously ARE rather immature and rude and have a hard time adding 2+2. You don't want my help, my advice, or my opinions so I will gladly take your advice and leave this discussion. I'm not going to waste my time trying to help someone who clearly doesn't want it.

I didn't enter this discussion to argue with you, I just wanted to know what you really wanted to accomplish and why...so I could better help you. Get it?! That's what you wanted, right? You obviously would rather argue than humbly accept some help, which you arrogantly refer to as "BS". A great person once advised..."Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience". So for that reason, I'm out.

My comment about money burning a hole was only to point out that custom shop stack pups are very expensive and you could probably get what you wanted out of a few magnet swaps in the pups that you already have (hence the need to know if you were going to keep these pups) and save a whole bunch of money. (Sorry for trying to save you money...I guess it really IS burning a hole in your pocket.)

You say you "asked for advice, not opinions", but clearly you don't know which is which. And if I gave you appropriate advice, I would probably be kicked off of this forum.
                          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-25-2020, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Let's get back to the OP, please.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To another part of the original question, can you even remove the covers?

Comment

Working...
                              X