Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielding thin semi-hollowbody with 2 humbuckers

Aloha friends,

I’m about to assemble my first guitar kit and am a little confused about shielding. I ordered all new electronics (HH, 2 p/p vol, p/p tone for series/parallel and split), bare ground wire and enough 22ga shielded push-back wire for everything. Pups will be either Pearly Gates or Hot Rodded (JB/Jazz.) I’d like to avoid shielding cavities if possible.

*Do I have to add shielding to the 4-lead pickup wires?

*I just read that shielded cloth wire is capacitance heavy and will rob tone. Should I use it or is there something better?

*A lot of what I’ve seen online has the shielding attached to multiple points (like all the pots.) My understanding has always been that shielding should be attached at one end only. Are they just combining shield and ground, and is that effective? Or would it be better to run separate ground wire and connect shields at one end only?

Thanks for reading and your thoughts
    -JG

Re: Shielding thin semi-hollowbody with 2 humbuckers

I'd have to say that shielding in itself isn't a bad thing, and certainly doesn't rob tone, unless you consider hum an integral part. 4 conductor pickups are quiet and don't need additional shielding on the wires. Shielding a cavity is attached to the pots by contact....they touch the shielding. Nothing wrong with that.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
    X