Need help with JB Player Super Strat Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with JB Player Super Strat Wiring

I'm having some difficulty figuring out the wiring for this JB Player guitar. Its an HSS configuration, with one volume, one tone, coil tap switch, and 2 on off switches for the neck and middle pickup. I came up with a diagram that I thought would work but I didn't have any success. I'm brand new to electronics so I'm most likely doing something wrong. What I don't understand especially is how the switches operate in a circuit. I believe they are SPDT switches, I sort of understand how they work on a wiring diagram, but I don't know how I would physically solder them. Maybe I'm only missing a few things on the diagram and someone can help? I'd like to get rid of this guitar in playable condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jbplayer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5853818

Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	5853819

Re: Need help with JB Player Super Strat Wiring

First of all, those switches in your diagram are DPDT switches. The two center lugs are the poles and the other four lugs are the throws. Each switch is electrically two switches...the left half and the right half. The left center lug ("pole") can "throw" to either the top left lug or the bottom left lug. Same on the right side. On your diagram it looks like you have both wires of the neck and middle pups connected together on the upper right lugs. The pups are shorted out of the circuit regardless of what position the switches are in. It appears that the red and white wires from the bucker are connected together but are not connected to the split switch. Niether the vol nor tone controls are wired to have any affect on the circuit.

Basically, there is nothing correct in your diagram. Really, nothing except that the green wire of the bucker is grounded, the sleeve of the jack is grounded, and the bridge is grounded. My computer doesn't have the capability to draw guitar circuits and there is too much to verbally explain so maybe someone else will chime in with a diagram. And the photo of your actual guitar is not clear enough for me to determine anything from that.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Okay thank you for your reply. I am using the diy layout creator here https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator. I'm using DPDT switches in the diagram since I don't believe there are any SPDT switches in the software yet. So they're placeholders basically. The wires placed on the body of the switch and not the lugs are supposed to represent being grounded. I'm aware I don't know what I'm doing but I was hoping for some clarification on how to wire SPDT switches. I'll take some photos during the day with better lighting if that helps. Currently the guitar is setup for one humbucker and a volume pot only though.

Comment

The SPDT switch is exactly like 1/2 of the DPDT switch. Like I said, the center lug is the "pole" and gets connected to either the top or the bottom lug ("throws") as it is switched.

For the bucker, just follow this diagram (it shows a DPDT p/p pot but it's wired the same as if it were a SPDT toggle). When the switch is in one position it connects the red+white wires to ground which gives you the split mode. When the toggle is in the other position the red+white wires are isolated giving you both coils in series (normal humbucking mode):

For the neck and middle pups, run the hot/lead wire from each of the pups to their respective middle lugs on the switches, then run a wire from the bottom (or top) lugs of each of those switches to the input lug of the vol pot (where the humbucker's black wire is connected). Then ideally, run a wire from the other lug of the switch to ground. When the toggle is in one position you will add that pup to the circuit. When the toggle is in the other position that pup will be grounded out of the circuit (turned off).
        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-23-2020, 07:41 AM.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X