SG pickups - for slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG pickups - for slide

I have a new Epi SG G-400 on the way and plan to set it up for slide, but not exclusively. Classic rock, leaning towards slide tones of Allmans, Joe Walsh, etc and old school blues. Not looking to nail anyone's tone in particular, but looking for a jack of all trades set.

I am thinking some combo of Saturday Night Specials and 59s, maybe SNSb/59n

If anyone has any other suggestions, high output (even a custom or c/59 hybrid) is not my thing. I really like a more organic response from the pickup. I have Seths in my LP and could do the same here, but I want something that will really sing a little more and not get too nasally in the SG.

Re: SG pickups - for slide

I'd say a PAF style with a typical wind for those types with an A2 or A4 magnet. A5 gets you more noise from the slide and can be screechy. Check Earl Hooker for a great slide sound.

Comment

im an a2 junkie when it comes to buckers and i play a fair amount of slide. the sns is a cool setup, i have a set in a prs se and i like it but i miss the chewy mids of a2. i keep toying with the idea of swapping the bridge pup to a2 but havent pulled the trigger yet. a set of 59s is usually really good in a sg too and are ripe for mag swapping if you wanna get into it. what rig do you usually use?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        im an a2 junkie when it comes to buckers and i play a fair amount of slide. the sns is a cool setup, i have a set in a prs se and i like it but i miss the chewy mids of a2. i keep toying with the idea of swapping the bridge pup to a2 but havent pulled the trigger yet. a set of 59s is usually really good in a sg too and are ripe for mag swapping if you wanna get into it. what rig do you usually use?
        I'm just a home player (well I guess EVERYONE is nowadays ) but I am usually playying my Tele partscaster with Ants and an LP Std with Seths running into a Peavey C20 Mini, Fender SCXD or Katana 50.

As for A2s, they are my favorite buckers as well in the right setup. I've had issues taming a PGb in several guitars, and sometimes find A2Ps to be too evenly EQd. Seths are fantastic and can't say anything bad about the PGn. I'd also like to try the Slash models one day, but not sure those would be right for this project.

Comment

Working...
        X