No announcement yet.

First wiring attempt gone wrong. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First wiring attempt gone wrong. HELP!

I recently purchased a Les Paul body as a project to learn how to work on guitars, and I've gotten everything down except the wiring. I thought I followed the diagram properly
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	5853842
    but when I plug it in it buzzes like it's not grounded and the pickups barely make any sound if at all. This is a learning build so I used parts I had laying around (that all worked when I took them off) and the pickups are GFS Crunchy Pats off one of their guitars I'm working on. This is also my first real soldering attempt too and I bought that orange weller station for like $35, and a spool of .8mm 60/40 Lead Tin solder. Now onto the pics

This is the ground wire coming from the guitar onto the back of the neck volume pot

Name:	IMG_0313(Edited).jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5853843

This pic is the ground wire from the neck volume to the neck tone

Name:	IMG_0314(Edited).jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5853844

This pic is the ground wire from the neck tone to the bridge tone, as well as the ground from the output jack to the bridge tone (The braided cable wire itself is the ground)

Name:	IMG_0315(Edited).jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	5853845

This pic is the ground from the neck volume to the bridge volume

Name:	IMG_0316(Edited).jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5853846

This pic is the toggle switch to the bridge volume (white wire)

Name:	IMG_0317(Edited).jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	5853847

This pic is the toggle switch to the neck volume (right green wire)

Name:	IMG_0319(Edited).jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5853848

This pic is the bridge pickup ground and lead on the bridge volume pot (red and white wires are for coil splitting and are not used)

Name:	IMG_0320(Edited).jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	5853849

This pic is the neck pickups ground and lead on the neck volume pot

Name:	IMG_0321(Edited).jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	5853850

This is the neck to neck capacitor

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	5853851

(Can only post 10 pictures per post so I will continue in a comment below)
    Last edited by Dauminator; 04-26-2020, 02:42 PM.

Re: First wiring attempt gone wrong. HELP!

This is the bridge to bridge capacitor

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	5818928

this is the toggle switch to the output jack

Name:	IMG_0324(Edited).jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	5818927

I also grounded the post to each other where the diagram shows. This is the video I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiu...w&index=5&t=0s

I honestly have no idea where I went wrong. I have a multi meter and everything from the output jack to the tuners to the pots to the pole pieces on the pickups are grounded, so I have no idea what could be the issue. The pickups worked great in the guitar I took them out of. Any advice would be awesome!
    Last edited by Dauminator; 04-26-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry, dude, but none of those connections looks good. I’m surprised you’re getting ground hum.

What are the red/white wires that are twisted and not connected to anything? If those are pickup wires, your pickups will never make sound.

You might want to buy a plain piece of aluminum and some spare guitar wire and just practice soldering, without ruining a pot or switch.

Comment

The red and white wires have to be stripped and soldered TO EACH OTHER. The pickups cannot work until those wires are connected to each other.

(For each pickup: neck pickup red to neck pickup white, tape it so they don't touch anything else. Then same for bridge pickup.)

After that you should get sound. Then what you need is to watch some YouTube videos about stripping wires and soldering them. You have some very tenuous connections there, with only one strand of wire actually making contact. That's not good.

Comment

The previous comments from my forumite bros were extremely kind, but they didn't really give you any idea how bad this soldering job is and what you need to do to correct it.

First of all...reality check.
          Please understand that this comment is not at all intended as a personal insult or to make you feel bad, but simply my observation of your pics and my desire to help you - in 60 years of working on guitars this is by far the worst soldering I have ever seen. Previously, the worst job I have seen, which was totally appalling, would look amazingly good compared to yours. You have numerous cold solder joints, broken wire strands everywhere, unshielded areas on wires possibly shorting to other wires/lugs/metal parts, bird's nest globs of wire strands mingled with solder, etc.

I posted a short tutorial which could help you.

Also, I posted several pictures showing what good and bad solder joints look like. I don't remember what that post was titled, but it was shortly after this tutorial. You might be able to find it in a search. By comparing those pics to yours, you will learn a lot (even my bad examples were better than your soldering job).

My advice to you at this point would be to read what I posted, look at the pics I posted in a separate thread, and practice soldering a bit before working on your guitar (don't practice on aluminum, that's tricky to get good soldering results, use a thin piece of copper or iron/steel).
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 04-27-2020, 08:34 AM.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thank you all for being kind to a new member.
            I would also suggest to possibly find a mentor who can help with the skill of soldering. While we can sort of talk you through this a bit, I think what we need to do before working on this project is some practice. I'd scrap everything and use the pots to practice soldering with some wire. Do this before you start sorting out the wiring on the guitar.
            My thought is that you might not realize how fast the soldering process really is.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are plenty of tutorials on the web. Check them out and practice.

By the way, your diagram is just fine.

Comment

I just found my pictures from a previous thread titled "Soldering 101 Pictures":

Comment

All the comments about soldering are true, but it MIGHT actually work if those red and white wires were connected to each other!
                  Right now your pickups are only half-connected: you have the hot and the ground but leaving the white and red wires apart means no actual signal is leaving the pickups.

Comment

That pot back tho.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Well I guess I gotta start somewhere! This body/neck has been sitting idle since December and I because I'm still in school I planned for it to be a summer project, but with this quarantine i figured I'd give it a shot. I bought a weller solderning station and solder and I had pots and wires laying around, and I thought just watching the diagram video was going to be enough but I'm coming to terms with that wasn't the best plan. What's probably worse is I did this on my bedroom floor because it was all I had when I did this. I did the back pot first, and it's obviously awful, but I grounded the pots to each other last and I think those actually don't look too bad. Since then I've gotten some advice on tinning wires from friends who are electrical engineer majors and they've been helpful. We also cleaned out our garage and found a desk that'll work for a guitar work station and I plan on going back and fixing it. My question now is where do I start? Like do I unsolder everything and start completely over or is there anything I can salvage? I think I can keep the pot grounds and caps but I know virtually nothing compared to yall lol. Can't thank you enough for the help

Comment

You can use a lot of heat for pot backs to make it easier and just dominate and create a good bond since there's no risk of damaging anything. Unless you use such extreme heat to disintegrate the wires. For pot lugs, use just the appropriate amount of heat so it doesn't break it.

What I do to evaluate a joint is tug on the wire to see if it's joined well and examine it visually to see if the solder looks solid and not all degraded and that there's reasonable contact in the connection.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 04-27-2020, 05:11 PM.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Holy hell!!!

Yep......some tutorial watching + a few hours of practice before starting again.....and a complete re-do is needed. If your soldering station is not a 45-50W, then that power will be needed. You certainly will need every wire to be replaced, and you could well have killed the pots too by cooking them.

edit - the enclosed space of a cavity is hard, and you can burn insulation if you don't attend to order, and the angle of your iron. Its best to work on the lower joints first. So the grounded pot lugs and any ground linking the pot backs and capacitors. Then work on the pickups onto the pots, and the wires to the switch if they go out of the cavity to a separate one like in a Les Paul.
                          The last bit is routing the output wire through to the jack.
                          Last edited by AlexR; 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            What I do to evaluate a joint is tug on the wire to see if it's joined well and examine it visually to see if the solder looks solid and not all degraded and that there's reasonable contact in the connection.
                            The connections to the lugs are solid, at least from what I can tell. I tugged on every one and they seem well connected. I guess most of my issues are the cold connections and the red+white wires

Comment

Tugging on them means nothing.
                              You need a multimeter to check that they are making an electrical connection

Comment

Working...
                              X