Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High output pickups have low output in Gibson SG

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    When you say you wired the pickups direct do you mean you bypassed everything, or just the pots? A dirty or faulty switch can reduce output, although it would be odd for it to do so on both pickups.

I put a Custom into one of my guitars and it seemed quiet to me as well. I assumed it was a mismatch between the pickup's frequencies and my amp but you are comparing to another guitar with the same model pickup, right?

Try without the cover. I can't think of anything else besides switch or covers, assuming the output jack is properly connected.
    I connected the pickup wires in the back cavity directly to the guitar cable to test the volume. Tonight I'll make a recording to compare the SG to other guitars.

Comment

If you do that while electronics is still connected to cord outlet, position of volume control matters how much resistance to ground your pickup get.
      You sort of connect to wiper, since that is going to outlet, and if that knob is not on top, full volume, you load pickup a lot.
      Just mention it, if you did not think about it.

I don't think that is good test for saying pickup is working, IMO. Unsolder stuff instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
        If you do that while electronics is still connected to cord outlet, position of volume control matters how much resistance to ground your pickup get.
        You sort of connect to wiper, since that is going to outlet, and if that knob is not on top, full volume, you load pickup a lot.
        Just mention it, if you did not think about it.

I don't think that is good test for saying pickup is working, IMO. Unsolder stuff instead.
        I connected the pickup wires directly to the guitar cable, that means disconnected from the pots , switch etc.

Comment

I would take covers off and redo all solder joints. Sounds like a cold joint or something not grounded to me.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk
          "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” --John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
            I connected the pickup wires directly to the guitar cable, that means disconnected from the pots , switch etc.
            That sounds like primary side of pots, you disconnected, where pups go.

Did you disconnect where output jack hot was connected?
            It goes to wiper of volume pot, which still has connection to ground.

Flipping guitar over could easily move volume control, I mean, making maybe very much load on pickup to ground sounding weak - for this test that is.

The test was to secure that pickup was ok, or?

If volume is at 10, probably ok, but just mention a possible cause test fails.

With wiper at 10, there is 500k to ground, and ok.
            With wiper just above 1, it could be 1k or less to ground, strangling pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
              That sounds like primary side of pots, you disconnected, where pups go.

Did you disconnect where output jack hot was connected?
              It goes to wiper of volume pot, which still has connection to ground.

Flipping guitar over could easily move volume control, I mean, making maybe very much load on pickup to ground sounding weak - for this test that is.

The test was to secure that pickup was ok, or?

If volume is at 10, probably ok, but just mention a possible cause test fails.

With wiper at 10, there is 500k to ground, and ok.
              With wiper just above 1, it could be 1k or less to ground, strangling pup.
              I did NOT use the guitar output. I took the pickup wires and connected them directly to the guitar cable, without using any of the guitar's electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post

I did NOT use the guitar output. I took the pickup wires and connected them directly to the guitar cable, without using any of the guitar's electronics.
                Did you ever find the problem about the guitar? I have a Gibson SG with the same issue.

Comment

i expect the issue was with the covers. the pups dc resistances are correct for series wiring and since he wired it directly to a cable and it still had the issue, thats the most likely suspect.

might be better to start your own thread with all your details so we can figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by TimH89 View Post

Did you ever find the problem about the guitar? I have a Gibson SG with the same issue.
                    No, I didn't and had forgotten about it. Yesterday I put covers on a Les Paul, so today I'll check if the pickups (Custom+Jazz) sound any different.

Comment

Since no one else has said it... take off the covers and see what happens.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Assuming you have played with the pickup heights and as you've commented on your familiarity with pickup changes, why don't you put one of the pickups from your LP in the SG for comparison to give you a clear idea where the issue resides?

Then you can go from there having a better idea if the pickups themselves are the source of the problem.

Comment

+1 for the pickup covers.
                          Due to past experiences, I can say this. Some aftermarket covers will sit higher over the pickup coils which in turn increases the distance from the strings.
                          That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                          And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                          X