X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JEM Ghost
    replied
    Re: Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

I do think the Parallel Axis pickups are underrated.
    I sure do like the PATB-1 bridge and PATB-3 Saraceno bridge model. Not too much love for the PATB-2, but that's not because it's a bad pickup, just not my thing EQ wise.
    Over here they are a little on the expensive side, slightly over 120 euro for the PATB-1, if it were not for the price, I'd get some today.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Recordings of Barlo the Jammer: All these jams (excluding some of the very last ones which are done with my ex Ibanez S370) are done with my Warmoth Walnut Hardtail Stratocaster: Duncan PATB-3 brid

100 jams, all done with this walnut hardtail strat of mine which has a PATB-3 in the bridge and at the time an a4 59 in the neck. The details of setup are written in each track.

B

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    The PATB is basically just a semi-hot PAF with PA construction.

The character of the treble, and the output, reminds me a bit of a Gibson Burstbucker #3, but it's a bit less muddy and more articulate.

Still a bit too "honky" for me. Too bottom heavy, and too scooped. I tried it with the PATB-1n at first, and eventually swapped out the PATB-3 for a second PATB-1n.

Most people would prefer the PATB-3, though, I think. I just don't like my bridge pickups to be too powerful or bottom heavy.

That said, in a single humbucker guitar, I would use the PATB-3 instead of the PATB-1n. The problem I had with running the two together was that they both wanted different amp settings.
    thanks for the reply. i always liked a lil scoop. The honk might turn me off though. Never understood how that even can be possible in the same PU?

Well i would go PATB 1n/3b in a HH superstrat with a locking trem, so a lil more bass might not hurt at all.
    But i will try the neck version in the Bridge too. if it's that much better i can always go down the CS route for a wider spacing.
    So added to wishlist

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    I'm blown away by how well the original PATB handles gain. All you can throw at it, and it's clear and chunky and awesome. I put a mic in front of my cab for the first time since I installed the pickup, and I think it sounds just like I want for a recorded tone.
    I’d love to hear a short sample....I’m contemplating a PATB for an Ibanez

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    well that shouldn’t be too hard especially for leads.
    but about the same level of compression?
    then i think i will opt for the PATB-3.

even the pegasus sometimes feels too compressed for me
    The PATB-3 is basically just a semi-hot PAF with PA construction.

The character of the treble, and the output, reminds me a bit of a Gibson Burstbucker #3, but it's a bit less muddy and more articulate.

Still a bit too "honky" for me. Too bottom heavy, and too scooped. I tried it with the PATB-3 at first, and eventually swapped out the PATB-3 for a second PATB-1n.

Most people would prefer the PATB-3, though, I think. I just don't like my bridge pickups to be too powerful or bottom heavy.

That said, in a single humbucker guitar, I would use the PATB-3 instead of the PATB-1n. The problem I had with running the 1n and the 3 together was that they both wanted different amp settings.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-07-2020, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

I'm blown away by how well the original PATB handles gain. All you can throw at it, and it's clear and chunky and awesome. I put a mic in front of my cab for the first time since I installed the pickup, and I think it sounds just like I want for a recorded tone.

Leave a comment:

• Cynical
    replied

the parallel axis is only in Duncans, and it’s one of three basic pickup designs.
    The old (and now discontinued) Carvin/Kiesel 22 polepiece humbuckers work on a similar principle. I love the M22SD; one of the most aggressive-sounding pickups I've ever encountered, while still retaining fullness in the low-end. Reminds me a lot of the Invader, actually, just with a tiny bit more top-end gnarliness.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied

well that shouldn’t be too hard especially for leads.
    but about the same level of compression?
    then i think i will opt for the PATB-3.

even the pegasus sometimes feels too compressed for me
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

I would say fuller, not necessarily more compressed

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied

you guys give me GAS!
    Is the original PATB Bridge more compressed than a custom 5?

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Article about the Parallel Axis Original set, by our own Darth Phineas: http://darthphineas.com/2017/12/seym...axis-original/.

The neck model is the real superstar of the PATB line, IMO. It's everything that's good about a PAF (dynamics, sweetness, low output), while minimizing the bad (sometimes muddiness and lack of clarity).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-02-2020, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

I did not know anything about the neck versions!

In fact, I do not know if there is a neck version that is good for PATB-3. I've paired mine with a fugly neck, but still am curious. And I am amazed/surprised that I did not wonder about the neck versions of these pickups for all this time. I have used my PATB-3 for more than 15 years now, I think...

B

PS: I stand corrected:

It's been 13 years!
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-02-2020, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

^ No. Black only.

But you could mask off the poles with liquid frisket, and finish the bobbins with a durable finish, like a urethane or epoxy.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

I’m wondering...
    Since this is a non-traditional looking pickup, would it be available to purchase in a double cream style configuration?

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'm fairly certain that ALL PATB's are trembucker spacing, regardless of their position. I'll dig mine out and measure it.
    Nope. The PATB-1n is standard spaced, and has a PAF-ish wind. I wasn't makin **** up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X