X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank-
    replied
    Re: Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

The PATB series aren't found commonly in most local stores. That's probably why they don't have as abundant following among Duncan customers, that and probably the looks, it might be making people rethink their choice. If a bunch of well known players endorsed them then perhaps more people might be interested in them.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

My PATB-1 set, in my LP Custom, is in my top 3 favorite guitars. (And I'm not an LP kinda guy.) They're hard to describe. Hifi-ish, almost perfect tonal balance. I had a PATB-3 once and traded it for something. I need to get one back. The PATB-3 is to the PATB-1 kinda like a PG is to a Seth. Just a wee bit more bite and punch.

Leave a comment:

• Toejam
    replied

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]105099[/ATTACH]

My Les Paul is from 2006, and the poles line up perfectly.
    Most modern tune-o-matic bridges are F-spaced. I had a 2000 USA Jackson RR1T that I put a PATB-2 into, and it also lined up perfectly. The pickup sounded amazing, and I recently bought another one to put into something else.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4036 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5820705

Leave a comment:

• vinta9e
    replied

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    Regardless, when I play one of these pickups, I wonder why I see so little talk about them. Please chime in with your thoughts or experiences.
    My guess is that the PATB is not meant to achieve mainstream appeal because it eschews the "JB for hard rock/Distortion or metalheads/PAFs for the classic crowd" clichés. People are maybe even afraid of its non familiar look and they are probably not aware that it's Seymour's design of a novel magnetic circuit. I be the average Joe is more interested in celebrity endorsements rather than pickup science.

I'm incredibly glad SD makes such pickups available to us even though they're niche. Not appreciated by the most people but much appreciated nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

Technically it is "Rhythm" and "Treble" (after all, Gibsons don't typically have a trem of any kind), but "T" pickups have 52mm spacing, which is even wider than DiMarzio's "F"-spacing (51mm) and much closer to Duncan's "Trembucker" spacing at 52.6mm.

My point is that Gibson has been using trem-spaced bridges along with the wider "T" series pickups in the bridge for 30+ years now. People often assume that Gibsons need narrower spacing in both positions, but this isn't true except on special models and vintage-correct reissues.

Leave a comment:

• superpete
    replied

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Most Gibsons and Epiphones since the mid-'80s have trem-spaced bridges. Drives me crazy that more people aren't aware of this. That's why their newer bridge models are labeled "T" (500T, 498T, 490T, etc) and their neck pickups are labeled "R" (for Regular spacing)
    seriously? you just blew my mind! i always thought it was for Rhythm and Treble!

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Fugly neck and PATB-3 bridge make up a really good sounding set!

B

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

I use a two neck models in my G&L Ascari GTS. They sound great. The other models are all too hot and dark for me.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
    Does the PATB line-up with the string spacing of a Les Paul?
    Most Gibsons and Epiphones since the mid-'80s have trem-spaced bridges. Drives me crazy that more people aren't aware of this. That's why their newer bridge models are labeled "T" (500T, 498T, 490T, etc) and their neck pickups are labeled "R" (for Regular spacing)

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied

I really dug my Crazy8 in a mahogany body strat, and had contemplated putting it back in next string change. Pairs really well with a CRn.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I wonder if that design can be modified in a PAF wind. I dig the look, although what was the original idea behind the look? What problem did it solve?
    Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    I bet an underwound PATB-3 would be very PAF-ish.
    Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
    You gotta try a PATB-3. Very tasty hot wound PAF sound. Mine is 9.4K. And I love it!
    10-12 years ago I grabbed in the Trading Post a '59 trembucker that was rewound in the SD custom shop to the PATB-3 wind. It's a deliciously-sounding hot PAF that has had a permanent home in my LP Studio ever since. Someday maybe I'll grab a PATB-3 and A/B the two. I'm frankly surprised I never grabbed a PATB-3 for another guitar. I have a project in paint which I intended to go back to a Screamin' Demon because it worked so well in that guitar pre-refin, but maybe now's the time to grab the PATB-3 instead.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9918.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	5820694

My Les Paul is from 2006, and the poles line up perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

Does that include the Crazy 8 and Fuglybucker?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied

Everyone does humbuckers, and there are quite a few actives on the market now, but as far as I know, the parallel axis is only in Duncans, and it’s one of three basic pickup designs. I hope everyone has a chance to try one at least once.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
    Does the PATB line-up with the string spacing of a Les Paul? Being that they're all Trembuckers, the string shouldn't fit right between the dual magnets as intended due to spacing. Any pictures of them installed in non-Floyd guitars?
    Good question, I'd like to know, too. While I don't really need a hot PAF replacement, I'd be interested in knowing if the design would change the response of a lower output PAF wind...and how it would change.

Leave a comment:

• speed2dirt
    replied

Does the PATB line-up with the string spacing of a Les Paul? Being that they're all Trembuckers, the string shouldn't fit right between the dual magnets as intended due to spacing. Any pictures of them installed in non-Floyd guitars?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X