The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

That said, the BS is on anyone over 60 claiming to be able to distinguish between a regular JB, a JBJ, Antiquity JB, Chinese JB, etc.
    It's not all about ears.

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
    But if you do the test right, even just the differences between the new and Antiquity are audible to anyone loosely skilled in the art, and also you can feel the differences under your fingers.
    I've always said that. When Frank says "...you can feel the differences under your fingers" I believe he's referring to how a sound or the feel of the strings makes the person doing the playing feel and respond in the moment of creation.

It's not all about ears. It's about feeling. And feeling is something that distinguishes us from robots.

I can't help it if some of us don't feel the differences under their fingers. But that doesn't make that feeling that some of us do feel unreal.

If you're color blind it doesn't mean color doesn't exist. It just means you, one particular observer, can't see it.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-30-2020, 09:56 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

• I have never said that you can't tell the difference between two notably different pickups. (or maybe not...) If they were made that different, of course a musician, even one potentially hard of hearing may notice. The question there is not "Can you hear a difference". but "Which do you prefer?"

Remember - the JBJ is a fabled pickup highly sought for its Uber-tone. Man - it would suck if you paid $$$ for one of those an preferred an HB 10whatever the Duncan Design JB is! You might go "Wow - that one sounds smooth" or you might go "Wow...that one sounds muffled"

And of course - if it is a quiet room guitar > cable > amp. But what about Stage > Guitar > Wireless > Pedalboard > Amp? Can you tell then???

There are BS and perception traps everywhere!!!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

There are BS and perception traps everywhere!!!
        They call that marketing.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

• I like all 3 of my JBs. The new one is max aggression with the slammin mids plus as much highs to go with for a pup that hot. The JBJ sounds like a different pup. You can tell it's related but it's by far more open. Actually sounds like a hot PAF with cool vintage character. The Ant is insane and clanky. Works perfectly for my clanky mustang.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

• I thought you were gone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              It's not all about ears.

I can't help it if some of us don't feel the differences under their fingers. But that doesn't make that feeling that some of us do feel unreal.
              Touch sensitivity is all about how the amp, speaker, effect, pickup sound/react based on your touch. So yes it is all about your ears. Please tell me you can tell the difference purely based on touch the difference between any two pickups. If I blindfolded you and gave you a guitar with Black Winters v. a guitar with 59s unplugged could you tell the difference based on touch? Hell no! You would need them plugged in to "feel" (dare I say hear) the amplified sound, the sustain, the sensitivity and the bloom of the note. No pick up will change the physical feel of an instrument, it can change the attack when touched, but not the physical characteristics of the instrument. Unless you are telling us somehow your fingers can detect magnetic fields.
              Last edited by Securb; 11-30-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Unless you are telling us somehow your fingers can detect magnetic fields.
                I bet they can predict a change in the weather. Is this really that different?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Now are you going to insult Frank Falbo for saying the same things I've been saying?
                    And Frank has my phone number if he has a problem with me....and I got a Jamocha shake that can fix it.

Comment

Touch sensitivity is all about how the amp, speaker, effect, pickup sound/react based on your touch. So yes it is all about your ears. Please tell me you can tell the difference purely based on touch the difference between any two pickups. If I blindfolded you and gave you a guitar with Black Winters v. a guitar with 59s unplugged could you tell the difference based on touch? Hell no! You would need them plugged in to "feel" (dare I say hear) the amplified sound, the sustain, the sensitivity and the bloom of the note. No pick up will change the physical feel of an instrument, it can change the attack when touched, but not the physical characteristics of the instrument. Unless you are telling us somehow your fingers can detect magnetic fields.
                      Now there's the root of the problem. Half of us are discussing a blind test, the other half are discussing a deaf test. It's all clear to me now.

Comment

Yeah - and my Mesa has a few settings where you couldn't tell the difference between a Dimebucker and a refrigerator magnet too. Works the other way as well. And since you didn't bother to ask, Lew, I'd say I can completely feel the difference between a number of pickups. But you know a pair I can't? A SuperDisotrtion and a Tone Zone. And I bet that's a pretty similar situation, and I bet a lot of guys can't tell the sonic differences without seeing or being told there either!

EVERYTHING in the signal chain can have an effect on the sound. We are gonna take all that away - including sight. And then we'll see how much people really know.

Remember - this thread started because a guy was on a death hunt for a JBJ having never ever heard one, let alone played one.

I'm totally down for the Helen Keller pickup challenge! We'll make that round two for any who succeed through the first ordeal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                          It depends on the age of the person doing the test. As you get older you lose the ability to pickup up certain frequencies. It's not an opinion, it's a fact and has been proven scientifically. Google it.

That said, the BS is on anyone over 60 claiming to be able to distinguish between a regular JB, a JBJ, Antiquity JB, Chinese JB, etc. Except maybe Keith Richards...lol.
                          We live in the 21st century. Augmentation is available.
                          And as far as the JB goes, if you can tell the difference, then you spend accordingly.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Helen Keller pickup challenge!

Comment

• Beethoven used to put his hand on top of his piano.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                Beethoven used to put his hand on top of his piano.
                                Micheal Jackson used to put his hand on top of his organ.

Comment

Working...
                                X