ANOTHER BUCKER QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER BUCKER QUESTION

i got some great help ID ing my old maxon/greco humbucker but there's something else i need help with and again i think this is the ideal site to find someone who'll know the info i need.

a few years ago i bought a 75 flying V which had had a pickup replaced (or so i think) because one has holes in the base plate for the pole pieces on one side only but the other looks the same but has holes on both sides of the base plate. my question is are they both original and came in a pair like that or if not which one is likely to have been swapped out and what do i need to look for as an original replacement?

thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: ANOTHER BUCKER QUESTION

Those both look like the Tim Shaw humbuckers. I had them in my ‘81 LP Standard. Nice pickups. His version of a PAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hi, thanks for the info. i've heard about those tim shaw pickups being popular. were they around back in 1975 or does that mean both pickups are not original to the guitar? still like to know what the difference between the base plates means as well. is it just a neck / bridge position thing or are they from different years?

Comment

1975 is definitely in the right timeframe (~1974 to early '80s). Couldn't tell you about the baseplate discrepancy (holes vs non-holes)

Comment

that's good to know, thanks again Masta' C. hopefully someone else will add to the info? it'd be great if someone could do a pictorial timeline of baseplates, spacers, spec etc.

Comment

You'd probably have better luck finding more specific info on a forum like MyLesPaul, where the focus is more specific to Gibson stuff

Do a google search for "Shaw era pickups" and you'll find a bunch of threads on the topic. A Google image search using the same term yields lots of pictures showing versions with both holes and no holes on the baseplates.

It's possible that one of your pickups was replaced with the same type of pickup from a later year or it may simply be the result of the mix of baseplates Gibson had on hand at that time.

Comment

Post Shaws from the 1984 to 1987 frame. The big chrome Philips screws tell you.
              The baseplates were also used for the Dirty Fingers pickups an the splitable Series VIi.
              Last edited by hamerfan; 06-09-2020, 01:32 PM.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

so they're both much later pickups then, is that what you mean, from the mid to late 80s?

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                Post Shaws from the 1984 to 1987 frame. The big chrome Philips screws tell you.
                The baseplates were also used for the Dirty Fingers pickups an the splitable Series VIi.

Comment

Hamerfan is probably right:

I have a Gibson SG that I purchased used many years ago. Dating it using the serial number says it's from the Nashville plant and was built on 7 Nov 1990. The pots are from the 35th week of 1990. So everything points to 1990. But I'm having a really hard time finding any information about...

Price 3300$ USD plus shipping, open to offers 1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, all original, ebony fingerboard as you would expect from a Custom, the good wood era, original PAT number pickups. Excellent condition for its age, very minor use.

Comment

Working...
                  X