Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A set for my Telecaster

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    the bg1400 isnt as hot as you think. its an old school stack style pup but its a fat sounding tele pup, still kinda tele like but fatter and smoother, less single coily. the jd is a great pup but it isnt any hotter or beefier than the boss that you have, a bit smoother on the top but it wont push the amp any harder than what you have
    yeah I’m trying not to look at DC resistance as my measuring stick. From ear I do like the sound of the Quarter Pounder even if I have to sacrifice the traditional Tele sound. The Boss just doesn’t work with this particular guitar I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      ^ Yeah, 8.2k of 42 gauge in a singlecoil format is pretty beefy. In fact thats very hot vintage just in itself.......
      My typical humbucker pickups read that.

Have you made sure the guitar is well setup?? A Tele should sing even with a 6k vintage set if its got the action/frets/relief dialled.

Yes and I’ve also tried raising the height of the pickup too but no great luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
        Are you sure that the problem is with the pickups?

SPECIFICATION
        Position: Bridge DC Resistance: 8.2 kΩ Magnet: Alnico 5
        Position: Neck DC Resistance: 7.3 kΩ Magnet: Alnico 5

Just saying...

B

It could be wiring and hardware issues too, but I had it installed by a top luthier guy in the UK so it’s unlikely to be a fault unless the actual pickup is faulty.

Comment

If all your other guitars have humbuckers , it might be that you need the time to get used to single coils, or adjust your amp/pedals sound a bit. Try a tube screamer without gain. I was in the same situation when I got my Strat, now I'm used to that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
            If all your other guitars have humbuckers , it might be that you need the time to get used to single coils, or adjust your amp/pedals sound a bit. Try a tube screamer without gain. I was in the same situation when I got my Strat, now I'm used to that sound.
            This is actually a good idea. I use a Pickup Booster pedal, but any pedal that can boost the level after the pickups without too much of a tone change would work.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
              I have a TS9 and a Compressor which help kick more input into the amp but I want it to come from the guitar first and foremost.

Think I'm set on a Quarter Pounder for the neck, has anyone put the Strat single coil in a Telecaster?

Bridge might put something else not as hot as QP.

Comment

Several people here have put Strat pickups in a Tele. It works really well. If you wanted to, you could get the Custom Shop to build any Strat pickup in a Tele housing for mounting in a Tele.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like the sound of the Quarter Pounder neck for the Strat, so if I could get that into my Tele I'd be happy.

Comment

you could totally do that. qp strat neck, qp tele bridge. betcha it would sound great, albeit very thick in the neck. youd just need to rout the pickguard or get a new one with a strat neck hole. the body rout should be big enough. i put a firebird pup in my tele without routing the body

Comment

Didn't Bruce Springsteen use QP's in his Teles for a long time? Always sounded like a Tele, just with more muscle.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        you could totally do that. qp strat neck, qp tele bridge. betcha it would sound great, albeit very thick in the neck. youd just need to rout the pickguard or get a new one with a strat neck hole. the body rout should be big enough. i put a firebird pup in my tele without routing the body
                        Would I be missing out loads if, say I had to settle for the QP neck for the Tele? A very thick neck is what I want though love that bluesy SRV Strat like sound for solos. Hesitant on slamming a QP on bridge as it’s so hot it may sound too humbuckery.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          Didn't Bruce Springsteen use QP's in his Teles for a long time? Always sounded like a Tele, just with more muscle.

Did he? I wouldn’t know. He’s not really what I wanna sound like so don’t know why I went for the Boss pickups haha.

Comment

Working...
                          X