Firebird pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird pups

Anybody here know what impedance of classic Firebird pickups should be, neck and bridge. Which should be the higher ohms?

Re: Firebird pups

There is no 'should', with respect to position. Neither historical Gibson practice nor tonal/output considerations are set in stone.

There was 1 pickup wound back in the day, put in the 1,2 or 3 positions the guitar was routed for. Approx 6.5K +/-, with the earlier ones more inconsistent based on specs back in the day. By 1965 the wind was done in a pretty consistent way.

Comment

yup. love the sound of old firebird pups. the duncan antiquity II is great too!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        yup. love the sound of old firebird pups. the duncan antiquity II is great too!
        I have a Zhangbucker Firebird pickup in the neck of my Telebird and my favorite sound is actually the Firebird in parallel.
        sigpic
        Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX
        Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

the firebird pup with the two coils in parallel rather than series? the zhang must be pretty different than a vintage fb pup then. i tried a parallel fb pup, obviously modded for 4 cond wiring, and it was super thin and bright.

Comment

the firebird pup with the two coils in parallel rather than series? the zhang must be pretty different than a vintage fb pup then. i tried a parallel fb pup, obviously modded for 4 cond wiring, and it was super thin and bright.
            Maybe in parallel with the bridge pickup? That's my favorite way to play my Tele clean, though I've got a SM-1n & Hot Stack for Tele.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

i run an antiquity fb pup in the neck of my black tele with a pup i wound in the bridge. i use all three settings for clean tones depending on what i want, sounds great all around

Comment

I have a 5 pos switch on the guitar. In the position that would normally be a neck/middle on a strat i have it wired to have both coils in parallel on the neck pickup but full on position 1 or 5 not sure what that position is called. In parallel its lower output than in series but it has a great sound, not thin or harsh, just more open and less compressed than in series. I typically run my "clean" tone as slightly broken up so its clean if you pick softly and overdriven if i pick harder then boost it with pedals. So if i want just a bit cleaner of a tone or i want to get slight overdrive from a pedal its my go to position. Works great for blues lines.
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Working...
                X